First Sail/Race

  • roysail3
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2010
      Well the old Ruffin, now known as Barefoot Children II, had our first sail which was a practice race last night. We did OK. We were able to keep up with 3 of the fleet's longest boats, 39'-48' range, up wind. Had the shrouds set at 900 for the uppers and 780 on the lowers. The wind was in 7-10 knots range. No scoring was done. We got smoked downwind by the bigger boats mainly because we only had the 135 jib. We haven't had time to setup the aysmmetrical. The downwind leg was more of a broad reach, too bad we did have the spinnaker, it would have been interesting to see how we would have done.

      I was a little surprised to find out I couldn't see the telltails from the windward side.

      That's all for now.

      Pat and Roy
    • J. Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2010
        Sounds like a lot of fun! I delivered Compass Rose to her new slip in Annapolis on Sunday. Nice beat up the bay at 5.5-6.5 knts @ 18-20knts apparent.

        Take pics of your a-sail setup when possible.

        Jason

        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2010
          Roy: Glad to hear you are underway already. Yes, with the J/28 well trimmed, it will keep up with some noticeably larger boats in moderate winds. When the breeze builds, you may find it harder to keep up with them.

          What was your experience with the helm? I know that you were concerned that it felt too tight out of the water. It seemed just fine to me, but you may have different standards. On seeing the telltales from the windward side of the cockpit: I think that the difference is that the J/28, like most J Boats, has the mast considerably further forward than other sloops, and that's what blocks the view.

          You may have noticed that the boarding ladder is missing a teak tread. I removed that tread because it interfered with the sight line to the name on the transom. I just discovered the errant tread in my basement as I was going over stuff to take to my J/40 and realized what it was. If you want it, let me know and we'll figure out how to get it to you.

          Best to all -- Lenny

          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2010
            Lenny,

            Interesting view on the the mast being more forward because that was what I was thinking but wasn't sure. The helm was fine underway, just some retraining of the brain though going from the tiller to a wheel. Both of us are fine directly behind the wheel but when we sit on the rail we want to steer in the wrong direction. The sails seem fine and the shape is good.

            I'm not concerned about the tread, I made up some out of white plastic used on house trim. Much less expensive then using ShoreBoard or whatever it is called and probably the same thing. We had the bottom stripped, barrier coated and repainted with Micron 66. And upgraded the radio and replaced the speakers with a small Bose system for a laptop computer complete with a small sub woofer. We did need to put in an inverter for it. Sounds great! Of course the first cd played was Barometer Soup with the track Barefoot Children in the Rain by Jimmy Buffet. On the 2nd downwind leg leg of the practice race I fired up the gas grill and we had shrimp kabobs.

            The boat only got in on last Friday and we have had a couple complimentary comments about the boat's lines and everyone is curious to see the boat and how we do. Most have never heard of a J28 so we seem to be a big curiousity item right now.

            So far we are very happy. I hope to attempt to fly the A Kyte on Tuesday.  I'm hoping to post some pictures in the next 2-3 weeks.

            Have you tried the J40? A friend has a J42 up in Boothbay. I got to drive it one day when he had it in Portland. Nice boat.

            Roy

            To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            From: lsreich@...
            Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 00:33:00 +0000
            Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: First Sail/Race

            Roy: Glad to hear you are underway already. Yes, with the J/28 well trimmed, it will keep up with some noticeably larger boats in moderate winds. When the breeze builds, you may find it harder to keep up with them.

            What was your experience with the helm? I know that you were concerned that it felt too tight out of the water. It seemed just fine to me, but you may have different standards. On seeing the telltales from the windward side of the cockpit: I think that the difference is that the J/28, like most J Boats, has the mast considerably further forward than other sloops, and that's what blocks the view.

            You may have noticed that the boarding ladder is missing a teak tread. I removed that tread because it interfered with the sight line to the name on the transom. I just discovered the errant tread in my basement as I was going over stuff to take to my J/40 and realized what it was. If you want it, let me know and we'll figure out how to get it to you.

            Best to all -- Lenny

            --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@...> wrote:

            > Well the old Ruffin, now known as Barefoot Children II, had our first sail which was a practice race last night. We did OK. We were able to keep up with 3 of the fleet's longest boats, 39'-48' range, up wind. Had the shrouds set at 900 for the uppers and 780 on the lowers. The wind was in 7-10 knots range. No scoring was done. We got smoked downwind by the bigger boats mainly because we only had the 135 jib. We haven't had time to setup the aysmmetrical. The downwind leg was more of a broad reach, too bad we did have the spinnaker, it would have been interesting to see how we would have done.
            >
            > I was a little surprised to find out I couldn't see the telltails from the windward side.
            >
            > That's all for now.
            >
            > Pat and Roy

          • Lenny
            Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2010
              Roy: I'm pleased that things are going so well for you folks. The boat was certainly due for a new stereo, and now I know (not being a Buffet fan) where "Barefoot Children" comes from.

              Speaking of music, our J/40 is named WATERMUSIC, after the Handel suite, which is wonderful to play underway in the right conditions. It's actually WATERMUSIC VII, but I didn't put the numbers on the transom. (I wanted to call it RUFFIAN, but my wife insisted on our well-worn name as a condition of buying the boat, and I willingly acquiesced.)

              My annual schedule is such that May tends to be very busy, sometimes spilling over into early June, and then I have lots of free time until late August. So, I never get my boats into the water before around June 10th. That date is probably realistic for the J/40, but I'm hoping it can "kiss the salt" a few days earlier. We'll see.

              I sailed the J/40 once, on the "delivery" from Camden to Rockland, a distance of about 10 miles, but it was in light air. The J/40 has a reputation as a great sailing boat, so I am eager to give it a good workout. I hope to take it down to Nantucket later in the summer, so maybe we can meet up on the southern Maine coast.

              Cheers to all -- Lenny