Re: Looking to buy a J28

  • Kurt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2010

      Before I start listing bad things I just wanted to say that the 28 is a very well built boat, especially for its size. If you decide to buy one I am sure you will love the boat.

      Now for some bad stuff...

      The battery cable, where it is routed over the gearbox tends to get chafed and if it chafes all the way through could obviously cause some major problems. To see this you can climb into the port cockpit locker and there is an access panel that gets to the gear box and stuffing box. Take a look through that access panel and check the battery cables that pass over the gear box.

      Where the chain plates pass through the deck is a VERY common spot for leaks and can allow water into the core. It is a problem with all J-boats and not just the 28.

      The bow pulpit and all of the lifeline stanchions, due to the stress of being leaned on, etc, also tend to leak but their bolts do not seem to go through the deck core, at least not on the ones I have re-bed on my boat. However the water coming into the boat can damage the interior.

      Check the aluminum mast step, which is essentially an aluminum I-Beam that has had the bottom half of it fiberglassed into the hull. The forward end of it bolts to the partial bulkhead that makes the head of the V-berth. Water forward of this bulkhead (lift the floor board under the V-berth) can puddle because the drain holes through the bulkhead are a couple of inches higher than the hull. The combination of salt water, aluminum step and stainless bolts can cause the step to corrode.

      The stock running lights from Lucas are cr@p. All the contacts in them are un-tinned copper. Due to this everything ends up becoming a non-conducting lump of corrosion. If you do any sailing after sunset make sure you replace them.

      Check the hoses that connect the cockpit drains to the drain holes in the stern. They are just exhaust hose and given the age of the boat have probably dried out and cracked. If they haven't been replaced already this means any water in the cockpit is draining into the hull instead of overboard. The hose is an odd size (2-1/4" if I remember correctly) and I had to special order it, which makes it more expensive then you would think.

      Have fun and good luck in your search,
      Kurt