Re: Bridge Clearance 46'?

  • Kurt
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
      Years ago I measured my mast while it was off the boat. Given some "guesstimates" for where the step is in relation to the waterline I came up with 40 feet plus 3 feet for the VHF antenna.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
        OK, now I'm curious how far below the water line the step is. I try and check it out Tuesday night.

        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        From: misailor@...
        Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:04:42 +0000
        Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Bridge Clearance 46'?

        Remember the mast step is below the water line, that gives you a bit more. My mast is off the boat, I will try to measure it this week.

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
          I needed a brain break, so I ran over to the boat and using a 4' level and tape measure, it looks like the step is about 18" below the water line.

          Roy

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          From: kbianculli@...
          Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 02:47:12 +0000

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 14, 2010
            I don't know how mast on the J28 and J30 are the same lenght the J30 p value is 2' longer. I wouldn't try to go under a 46' bridge.
            Without a tape, I dim, 36'+ deck to boom, 4'+6'down below= 46'. add my windex and antenna and subtrate the below the water line sound like a tight fit.

            John

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2010
              I left my measurements on the boat and it keeps raining. I'm hoping to grab them this weekend and see what I came up with for the boom placement. My guess it is 2' higher up from the step than the J30, and that distance would match the distance difference the spreaders are up from the step and accounts for the 2' difference in the the "P". I do remember the step to deck difference is about 10" between the 2 boats,the J28 being about 74" and the J30 about 64".

              Roy

              To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
              From: jfws88@...
              Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:35:06 +0000

              I don't know how mast on the J28 and J30 are the same lenght the J30 p value is 2' longer. I wouldn't try to go under a 46' bridge.
              Without a tape, I dim, 36'+ deck to boom, 4'+6'down below= 46'. add my windex and antenna and subtrate the below the water line sound like a tight fit.

              John

              --- In J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@... > wrote:

              > OK, now I'm curious how far below the water line the step is. I try and check it out Tuesday night.
              >

              > To: J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com
              > From: misailor@...
              > Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:04:42 +0000
              > Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Bridge Clearance 46'?
              >

              > Remember the mast step is below the water line, that gives you a bit more. My mast is off the boat, I will try to measure it this week.
              >
              > Bruce
              >
              > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have seen info somewhere that said the bridge clearance was 40' I measured the mast yesterday and see it it 46', or the same length as a J30. I measured a buddys J30 mast last weekend. Seems the only real difference from the J28 to the J30 is where the topping lift and spreaders are located. The J28 seems to have these about 2.5 feet higher up. And the J30 has 2 sheeves for the spinnaker.
              > >
              > > I have 4 bridges to go under to get the boat to the mooring. One bridge is 52' at low tide and 46' at high tide. So I'm guessing the info I saw was incorrect.

            • Bruce
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 18, 2010
                Roy,

                I measured my mast this morning, 46 feet. My sail maker had some questons on mast height last fall. He did some checking with the company that made them. They indicated that all the J/28 masts were built to the same length.

                Bruce

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
                  Thanks. I sent a text message to my buddy to see if he will measure the distance from the bottom of the J30 mast to the boom. I may have run over to his house, he is pretty awful on answering emails and text, and I'll also check to see where his mast step is in relation to the water line. He is pretty curious to see how the J28 and J30 stack up on the race course even though my rating is 51 secs slower than his, 186 vs 135. We are about a foot narrower on the beam, a foot shorter on the waterline and 900 lbs heavier. He made it under the bridges, so we should be all set.

                  Roy

                  To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                  From: misailor@...
                  Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:30:11 +0000