Re: GPS Location

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2010
      Thank-you Jason for the quick response and for downloading the files regarding your new Pedestal. GPS to the pedestal it is!

      Phil

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jason3317_04" <jason3317@...> wrote:

      > Hi Phil:
      >
      > I'd strongly tell you to consider mounting at the helm, which is how I have my Garmin 4212 installed. I can't tell you how happy I am with my helm mount. I even upgraded the pedestal guard to 1.25" (custom bent): this was helpful to run the power and data wires. You'll need new pedestal 'feet' from Edson if you go bigger on the pedestal pipe dia.
      >
      > I uploaded a file to the forum for your review. If you follow these measurements, you'll have plenty of room for the mainsheet. Let me know if you have any questions on the measurements. Miller Marine in Northeast, MD custom bent the pedestal guard and I can't tell you how great it turned out!
      >
      > All the best.
      >
      > Jason
      >
      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <philipstathos@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anybody thought about and concluded the best location to mount a GPS in the J28?
      > >
      > > When I looked at Lenny's J28 in Maine this Fall, I noted he had swivel mounted his in the companionway, perhaps for good reason.
      > >
      > > My boat required that I purchase a new Garmin 541 which I am eager to set up on the boat.
      > >
      > > I want it mounted on the pedestal next the wheel for ease of sight but want to make sure that this will not create issues given the mainsheet and traveller are nearby. If we go this route, we will wire it through the Pedestal tubing and go through the cockpit floor to the panel.
      > >
      > > Any thoughts or experiences?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Phil

    • Bob Ryan
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2010
        I didn't see this until today but I also recommend mounting all instruments on the helm.  I also had to upgrade the original pedestal tubing to 1.25" - which means that you will need to also replace new pedestal feet and the top plate adapter to your compass.  I used a Navpod housing for a smallish Raymarine A65 GPS with a fish finder for depth.  I didn't like the Edson housing at all.   We threw away our old depthsounder and knot meter and replaced those holes with speakers.  I picked the Raymarine A65 precisely because I didn't want a huge chartplotter that would overwhelm the visibility from the helm.  We didn't bend the pedestal tubing as I don't typically sail standing up.  It does take awhile to snake wires everywhere.   Cutting the tubing and drilling holes is also not something a DIY can easily do, but we found an automotive shop that was willing to do it.

        I can send pictures if you want, but you pretty much have the idea. Of all the money and work I've done, this has to be the single best improvement to a 20 year old boat.

        Bob
        "Verve"

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2010
          I bought a standard horizon cp180 last year for mounting this year. it will be mounted in the pedistal guard. My last GPS (handheld magellan)was mounted above at the top of the guard and was dispacted to the deep blue after an accidental jibe ripped it off and over the side. (I wasn't driving)
          I'll be making a custom mount. stay tuned for pictures

          John