Hi everybody, just joined and wanted to say Hi!

  • jboat007
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
      I have #26 in Key Largo Florida. Having the Yanmar rebiult due to saltwater intrusion from the exhaust mixer elbow. Hope to have "October" back out soon. I 've had her for about 8 years now , and except for the engine , no other major problems. Hope to talk to guys soon.
      Thanks,
    • Lenny Reich
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
        Juan: Thanks for the photos of "October." What are your main and jib made from? Are they noticeably faster than dacron sails? Very cool.

        Lenny

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jboat007" <jboat007@...> wrote:

        > I have #26 in Key Largo Florida. Having the Yanmar rebiult due to saltwater intrusion from the exhaust mixer elbow. Hope to have "October" back out soon. I 've had her for about 8 years now , and except for the engine , no other major problems. Hope to talk to guys soon.
        > Thanks,

      • jboat007
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2009
          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

          > Juan: Thanks for the photos of "October." What are your main and jib made from? Are they noticeably faster than dacron sails? Very cool.
          >
          > Lenny
          >

          > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jboat007" <jboat007@> wrote:
          > >
          > > They are both UK TapeDrive sails, its Kelvar scrim with Carbon fiber tapes. I think they are faster than dacron, and they don't strech at all so its a lot easier to shape/tune them when we race. They have lasted about 3 racing seasons. The main still has a couple more years, I just ordered a new jib.
          Thanks,
        • jason3317_04
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2009
            I guess I'll ask what everyone wants to know....care to give up how much $$$ you paid for these high-tech UK sails?

            Have you sailed the boat with Dacron before? Can you give a comparison between Dacron and Kevlar for the J/28? Every time I try to have a conversation on high tech sails with a loft, they pretty much tell me not to waste my time or money.

            Jason

            > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jboat007" <jboat007@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > They are both UK TapeDrive sails, its Kelvar scrim with Carbon fiber tapes. I think they are faster than dacron, and they don't strech at all so its a lot easier to shape/tune them when we race. They have lasted about 3 racing seasons. The main still has a couple more years, I just ordered a new jib.
            > Thanks,

          • jfws88
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2009
              007,

              Nice pic's. I assume you race PHRF down in Key Largo. What is your rating? and how do you do? I race in RI Narragansett bay with a 180 spnn/196 non spin rating with dacron sails and usaully finish in the top half of the class.

              --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jboat007" <jboat007@...> wrote:

              > I have #26 in Key Largo Florida. Having the Yanmar rebiult due to saltwater intrusion from the exhaust mixer elbow. Hope to have "October" back out soon. I 've had her for about 8 years now , and except for the engine , no other major problems. Hope to talk to guys soon.
              > Thanks,

            • Lenny Reich
              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2009
                John: How did you get a PHRF rating of 196? The PHRF New England base rating for the boat is 171, and that assumes just main and genoa up to 135%, I believe. I am very interested because I'm about to apply for a rating to race my J/28 in Maine waters, and the local handicapper normally starts with the PHRF NE base.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2009
                  Lenny,

                  The base for NB is 168 and I get a 6 sec credit for small genny, 135% and a cruising head sail meaning it my primary sail and stays on the furler. I had to appeal to get this rating they first had me rated with a base of 154. It was really hard to compete with that.According to Rod Johnston the J28 should be rated even with the j24s at 171 base. PHRF NE rates a little different.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 4, 2009
                    John: I'm still confused. Were you able to appeal all the way up from 168 to 190 base (+6 for the small genoa)?

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2009
                      Lenny,

                      No, My appeal moved my base rateing from 154 to 168, still short of the reccommendation from rod but workable. The base rating is based on a 150% jib That is only used for racing. Because I use a 35% genny I get 6 sec. and because it is my primary headsail and stays on the furler, I get another 6 sec. PHRF MB assumes you race spinnaker so my rateing is 180 racing with the chute. Without the chute I get another 16 sec. I do know that MB and NE rate these boats diffeantly.

                      John
                      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@...> wrote:

                      > Lenny,
                      >
                      > The base for NB is 168 and I get a 6 sec credit for small genny, 135% and a cruising head sail meaning it my primary sail and stays on the furler. I had to appeal to get this rating they first had me rated with a base of 154. It was really hard to compete with that.According to Rod Johnston the J28 should be rated even with the j24s at 171 base. PHRF NE rates a little different.
                      >
                      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > John: How did you get a PHRF rating of 196? The PHRF New England base rating for the boat is 171, and that assumes just main and genoa up to 135%, I believe. I am very interested because I'm about to apply for a rating to race my J/28 in Maine waters, and the local handicapper normally starts with the PHRF NE base.
                      > >

                      > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > 007,
                      > > >
                      > > > Nice pic's. I assume you race PHRF down in Key Largo. What is your rating? and how do you do? I race in RI Narragansett bay with a 180 spnn/196 non spin rating with dacron sails and usaully finish in the top half of the class.

                    • j28sailor50
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2009
                        The US Sailing rating information can be found in the following link.

                        http://www.ussailing.org/phrf/Tool_%20HI_LO_AVG%20Report%20Oct%2021%202008.pdf

                        HIGH, LOW, AND AVERAGE PERFORMANCE HANDICAPS ORGANIZED BY CLASS/TYPE
                        Lowest Highest Average
                        Class\Type Handicap Handicap Handicap
                        J-28 150 180 168
                        J-28 SD 165 180 174

                        I started racing my J28 last year in the Jib and Main Class. The local rating board gave me a provisional rating based on the US Sailing base rating of 168. They credited me 9 for roller furling and a 150% genowa as the only head sail on the boat. I did well with the 177 rating. Always in the top third of the fleet. The boat does well in light air. It also points well.

                        Bruce
                        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@...> wrote:

                        > Lenny,
                        >
                        > No, My appeal moved my base rateing from 154 to 168, still short of the reccommendation from rod but workable. The base rating is based on a 150% jib That is only used for racing. Because I use a 35% genny I get 6 sec. and because it is my primary headsail and stays on the furler, I get another 6 sec. PHRF MB assumes you race spinnaker so my rateing is 180 racing with the chute. Without the chute I get another 16 sec. I do know that MB and NE rate these boats diffeantly.
                        >
                        > John
                        > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Lenny,
                        > >
                        > > The base for NB is 168 and I get a 6 sec credit for small genny, 135% and a cruising head sail meaning it my primary sail and stays on the furler. I had to appeal to get this rating they first had me rated with a base of 154. It was really hard to compete with that.According to Rod Johnston the J28 should be rated even with the j24s at 171 base. PHRF NE rates a little different.
                        > >
                        > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > John: How did you get a PHRF rating of 196? The PHRF New England base rating for the boat is 171, and that assumes just main and genoa up to 135%, I believe. I am very interested because I'm about to apply for a rating to race my J/28 in Maine waters, and the local handicapper normally starts with the PHRF NE base.

                      • Juan Soriano
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                          I haven't raced in about year. But we have a small club ans a hodge podge of boats, the only spin boats that compete with me are a J/27, a Sabre 28 , a couple of Holder 20's  and a couple of Melges 24. I have a rating of 174 here, and I used to battle with the Sabre and trade firsts, until the Melges came around, but that's a rating war that continues today.

                          Nice pic's. I assume you race PHRF down in Key Largo. What is your rating? and how do you do? I race in RI Narragansett bay with a 180 spnn/196 non spin rating with dacron sails and usaully finish in the top half of the class.

                          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com, "jboat007" <jboat007@.. .> wrote:

                          > I have #26 in Key Largo Florida. Having the Yanmar rebiult due to saltwater intrusion from the exhaust mixer elbow. Hope to have "October" back out soon. I 've had her for about 8 years now , and except for the engine , no other major problems. Hope to talk to guys soon.
                          > Thanks,

                        • Juan Soriano
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                            They don't cost that much more , I have the actual reciepts at the boat, but I think the jib was around $2400.00 and the main $2800.00. The problem is longevity, I went thru that jib in four years ( and we didn't race but once or twice a month). The main may go for 6 or 8 if your reaaly careful. I sailed her originally with old dacrons and a fully battened main dacron. She just seemed more agile with the kevlars, and like I said before since there is very litle strech , you could see changes due to trim much easier and quicker. One other thing was since the kevlar sails don't give as much, I had to re-do the rigging,replaced the old swages with sta-locs before using the kevlars. Its still a tough decision, but the kevlars do look really nice!