Gooseneck Bushings

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2010
      Group:

      I need a new reef tack hook as I bent the current piece this year when
      we fell off a wave while reefed. However, I am curious: the
      gooseneck rides inside the tangs welded to the mast. I estimate there
      is 1/2" play where the gooseneck can move up/down along the vertical
      bolt. It seems to me that there should be bushings to prevent a lot
      of vertical movement? What are your thoughts? Perhaps, next time you
      are at the boats, you could look or take a couple of pictures of this
      area!

      I will upload a picture to my album.

      Thanks!

      Jason
    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2010
        Hi Jason,

        Not all of us are so lucky as to be still sailing in February! The mast on my boat is unstepped and in storage so I can't easily go check it right now, however my memory tells me that 1/2" is more play than I have. I do have two nylon washers that are about 1/8" thick each, one on top of the gooseneck fitting (but below the welded tang) and the other below. These take up some of the play but even 1/4" seems to be more than what I remember. You could buy some round delrin stock and drill a hole, a bit larger than the gooseneck bolt, down the center. Then band saw off a thickness that would be just right to take the play out of your setup.

        When I bought my boat the reef tack was bent identically to yours. I got a replacement from Hall and it is MUCH beefier. Nearly double the thickness. It is also larger and I have always wondered if they accidentally gave me a J34c fitting, but I like having the extra strength. You could try calling Hall but I got mine 14 years ago so I am not so sure they would still have the parts.

        Kurt

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2010
          Hi Jason

          Last year I installed bushings in both the boom gooseneck and the vang gooseneck. In both cases the holes where pretty sloppy so a machined the holes out and installed the correct size delrin flanged bushings. I got the parts out of mcmaster carr but I don't have the part # handy. The tang on my mast where prety worn too so I inserted an addtional washer to take up the remaining play. Work great all last year but I havn't inspected for this year yet.

          John