J 28 Shaol Keel Wanted

  • frank
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
      Please pass this on to potential sellers Reply here Thanks Frank or my e-mail
    • J. Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
        Frank,
        If you are truly committed to a J/28, I would not rule out purchasing a well maintained std draft model and executing a well engineered keel modification. Mars metal is one company offering this service.

        One thing to consider...by design, the /28 has a higher center of gravity than other J's built in this period. This was necessary to get the proper volume into the boat (and another reason for the fractional rig, btw). I, personally, would be wary of shoal draft in this model. Don't get me wrong, these boats are not nearly as tender as say a Sabre 28...but I think for offshore work (like you are proposing) you would prefer the righting moment the deeper draft gives you.

        One thing you haven't told us....What is your first year budget....including the purchase price and any refit you plan?

        Thanks.

        Jason
        From: "frank" <fdurant@...>
        Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:36:35 -0000
        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [J28Sailors] J 28 Shaol Keel Wanted

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
          Thanks for the idea. I'd not thought of a keel mod.Being from Canada, I knew of a company there that did it but transport costs would rule that out.One concern I had was rudder depth. I 'assumed' the shoal keel would have a redesigned rudder of less draft as well.
          As to budjet...these boats seem to go between $37-40,000 range depending on condition and inventory. I have specific canvass ideas and as to sails...it would depend on what the boat came with and age of the sails.
          I have cruised from Charleston SC on through the keys over to Bimini and all through the Abacos from Walkers on down to Pete's Pub several times.(11 gulf stream crossings) What impressed me about the J 28 was the cruising type interior with potential for speed. Throw in the shoal keel and it would seem a near perfect lil cruiser.
        • J. Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
            I agree with your conclusion that it is a great boat with good speed for its size. Keep in mind (and I am not trying to change it here) these are coastal cruisers, about 7500 lbs displacement. With the proper weather window, anything is possible. Tankage (40 gals water, 18-20 fuel) is probably light for your needs; you should plan around this. Icebox is huge. Inside stowage et al is at a premium without a quarterberth. You will be moving things around. The lazerettes are huge but you will find the boat will set stern down if there is too much crap back there.

            All that said....I would take my J/28 from Charleston to Bermuda or Bahamas with no hesitation. But I would want perfect weather in the stream.

            Finally....these were expensive boats in their time. Well built by TPI. Owners tend to be very passionate about them: the /28 is very much a baby J/40. It has a cult like status!

            Good luck with your search.

            Jason

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
              Thanks for your thoughts and concerns Jason.We are 'minimilist' cruisers. One cruise was on a 1960 Pearson Ariel 26 I restored, then a Flicka 20 and now a Compac 25. Size is fine. Speed would be great ;-)
              While I've never sailed one...they are not a 'super light' racer and I 'think' if properly reefed...could handle themselves well. The trip I propose has several 20 to 60 hour crossings...all within a decent forcast window. All 3 boats mentioned had 20 or 25 gallon water tanks. The J would seem huge ;-) I have sun shades made with a hose bib to fill tanks during rain. A pump-up shower uses far less water than a pressure unit. These are fairly easy things to work around.
              I always wish for more speed during any crossing. This is where I feel the J 28 would be a great boat.
            • J. Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
                Sounds like you know your needs....

                Good luck!