Re: Jason's rudder problems

  • saintcnc
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
      Regarding the work done on rudder: I had the work done at Ullman Sails in Sarasota. We can't remember the exact material we used to repack the rudder shaft as it was almost 4 years ago. I called the guys that did repair and they said it was a marine packing material. It was thicker that what you would use on the prop shaft and they thought they used a packing material that was designed for a large powerboat shaft. Hope this helps.

      Randy
    • jason3317@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
        Randy, thanks for the update.

        From: "saintcnc"
        Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:47:42 -0000
        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Jason's rudder problems

        Regarding the work done on rudder: I had the work done at Ullman Sails in Sarasota. We can't remember the exact material we used to repack the rudder shaft as it was almost 4 years ago. I called the guys that did repair and they said it was a marine packing material. It was thicker that what you would use on the prop shaft and they thought they used a packing material that was designed for a large powerboat shaft. Hope this helps.

        Randy

      • andersenhans15
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

          > From John --
          > > Jason Smith and I are both at about the same spot in a rubber bearing replacement you should check it out. Jason has taken some great pictures of the process.
          > > http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53478-rudder-bearing-info-j-28-a.html
          >

          > That's all very interesting. Great photos, Jason.
          >
          > Jason -- For those of us not yet experiencing play in the rudder bearing, do you still recommend hitting both of the zerk fittings with grease in the spring?
          >
          > Thanks for your input -- Lenny

        • andersenhans15
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009