Backstay replacement

  • roysail3
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2010
      Well happy New Year!

      The surveyor recommended I replace the backstay. Does the standard setup work OK, or would upgrading to something like cascading blocks be better? I'm asking because, I wasn't completely happy with the setup on the Colgate which is nearly identical to the J28 except the Colgate mast isn't tapered.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2010
        Roy:

        First, only the backstay needed replacement?  Was the other standing rigging replaced at another time?

        At least on the J/28, the backstay is primarily a tuning aid and not a primary support for the mast.  As you probably know, the factory setup is "pinch" system, with a 4:1 tackle system.

        I think the system as oem is effective, and replacing just the wire would be straightforward, but I don't like how it intereferes when pinched down and I am sitting at the helm.

        My ideal replacement system:  Spectra rope backstay (Dynex Dux or similar) in a new cascade system (2:1+3:1 or 4:1).  The 2:1 is simply a Harken Blackmagic 57mm or equivalent spliced to the Spectra backstay; the 3:1 is a 40mm or equivalent fiddle block + a single block with becket.  The 3:1 cascade would use the existing attachment points on the stern pulpit and run through the 2:1 block.  I would also shorten the backstay to raise the 2:1 higer than where the diamond plate is now on the current backstay by about a foot.

        If this is hard to picture, it is similar to a runing backstay setup.

        Thoughts?  Comments?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2010
          My local marina parts guy (who is also our J24 Race Commitee and sometimes PHRF RC) is going to see about getting some quotes for the both the spectra and non-spectra variations from Hall. He had mentioned about seeing if something could be done to be able to adjust it from side sides too. He has actually spent some time on a J28, so that helps too.

          Roy

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com