Re: Racing Tips?

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 25, 2009
      I would have guessed you bought Lenny's boat.

      Moving the batteried was strictly for weight. These boat are stern heavy and I was trying the get the weight forward. I don't miss the lost stoage under the bunk and I use the storage were the batteries were so, I win.

      BTW I tune to 90% of the J30 guide just because at the j30 numbers the rig seems too tight. I can tell you I never have slack in the leward shrouds no matter what the wind and the backstay adjustment is a great tool.

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:

      > John, thanks for the info. I was wondering how close the tuning would be to the J30, I'm a little familar with that. We bought #29, Ruffian, which will be trucked down the coast to NH in a week or so. We briefly considered sailing it down, but it would probably take 3-4 days and I'd rather save my vacation time till the summer.
      >

      > Being a late entry to the group, why did you move the batteries forward? Was it for weight? I need to do some repair work in the battery area (basically rebuild the box) and was wondering if it would be worth moving them.
      >

      > Do you have an autohelm? Do you disconnect it for racing? Ruffian has an Autohlem 6000 with all the hardware is below decks. The wheel seems a bit sluggish for racing. The surveyor mentioned that we might want to just disconnect it by pulling the pin and it should be easy enough to reconnect for cruising or our annual single handed race.
      >

      > Roy

      > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      > From: jfws88@...
      > Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:30:49 +0000
      > Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?
      >

      > Roy, I race my boat all summer and set the rig up almost to the tuning guides for the j30 the two rigs are very similar and it feels pretty good. I fly a used j30 spinaker.
      >
      > What hull # did you buy?
      >
      > John
      >
      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Thanks for the info. That's a good point.
      > >

      > > Do you know what a good starting point is for shroud tension? On the Colgate is was 500 lbs. I raced on a J30 a bit this summer it was around 1000 lbs and up.
      > >

      > > Roy
      > >

      > > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: misailor@
      > > Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:35:25 +0000
      > > Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?
      > >

      > > Pat and Roy,
      > >
      > > The upper shrouds on a J/28 attach to the mast just above the fractional fore stay. A mast head spinnaker would likely put too much lateral load on the upper mast. Look at the shrouds on a boat set up with a full rig (J/35). The shrouds on these boats go to the top of the mast.
      > >
      > > Bruce
      > >
      > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > We are new to the group and have just about completed the process of moving from a Colgate 26 (7 years) to a J28. The boat will be located on the Maine side of the Maine/NH border in the Kittery/Portsmouth area. The reason for the upsizing? There are just a few more luxuries on the J28 than the Colgate.
      > > >
      > > > Are there any good sites or information around on how to setup the J28 for the racing in the local PHRF fleet?
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone outfitted their J28 with a masthead asymetrical?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Pat and Roy

    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 25, 2009
        Lenny sold his boat? Did something happen or did he move up to something else? If this is too nosy a question just ignore it but being a J-28 owner for 14 seasons now I can't imagine selling mine.

        Kurt
        J-28 #71 Evangeline II

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:

        > John, thanks for the info. I was wondering how close the tuning would be to the J30, I'm a little familar with that. We bought #29, Ruffian, which will be trucked down the coast to NH in a week or so. We briefly considered sailing it down, but it would probably take 3-4 days and I'd rather save my vacation time till the summer.
        >

        > Being a late entry to the group, why did you move the batteries forward? Was it for weight? I need to do some repair work in the battery area (basically rebuild the box) and was wondering if it would be worth moving them.
        >

        > Do you have an autohelm? Do you disconnect it for racing? Ruffian has an Autohlem 6000 with all the hardware is below decks. The wheel seems a bit sluggish for racing. The surveyor mentioned that we might want to just disconnect it by pulling the pin and it should be easy enough to reconnect for cruising or our annual single handed race.
        >

        > Roy

        > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        > From: jfws88@...
        > Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:30:49 +0000
        > Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?
        >

        > Roy, I race my boat all summer and set the rig up almost to the tuning guides for the j30 the two rigs are very similar and it feels pretty good. I fly a used j30 spinaker.
        >
        > What hull # did you buy?
        >
        > John
        >
        > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Thanks for the info. That's a good point.
        > >

        > > Do you know what a good starting point is for shroud tension? On the Colgate is was 500 lbs. I raced on a J30 a bit this summer it was around 1000 lbs and up.
        > >

        > > Roy
        > >

        > > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: misailor@
        > > Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:35:25 +0000
        > > Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?
        > >

        > > Pat and Roy,
        > >
        > > The upper shrouds on a J/28 attach to the mast just above the fractional fore stay. A mast head spinnaker would likely put too much lateral load on the upper mast. Look at the shrouds on a boat set up with a full rig (J/35). The shrouds on these boats go to the top of the mast.
        > >
        > > Bruce
        > >
        > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > We are new to the group and have just about completed the process of moving from a Colgate 26 (7 years) to a J28. The boat will be located on the Maine side of the Maine/NH border in the Kittery/Portsmouth area. The reason for the upsizing? There are just a few more luxuries on the J28 than the Colgate.
        > > >
        > > > Are there any good sites or information around on how to setup the J28 for the racing in the local PHRF fleet?
        > > >
        > > > Has anyone outfitted their J28 with a masthead asymetrical?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Pat and Roy

      • J. Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 25, 2009
          Lenny is monitoring the forum, so I am sure he will reply...but he traded up to a spectacularly fine looking J/40.
          From: "Kurt" <kbianculli@...>
          Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:30:21 -0000
          To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?

> [...]

          > > The upper shrouds on a J/28 attach to the mast just above the fractional fore stay. A mast head spinnaker would likely put too much lateral load on the upper mast. Look at the shrouds on a boat set up with a full rig (J/35). The shrouds on these boats go to the top of the mast.
          > >
          > > Bruce
          > >
          > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > We are new to the group and have just about completed the process of moving from a Colgate 26 (7 years) to a J28. The boat will be located on the Maine side of the Maine/NH border in the Kittery/Portsmouth area. The reason for the upsizing? There are just a few more luxuries on the J28 than the Colgate.
          > > >
          > > > Are there any good sites or information around on how to setup the J28 for the racing in the local PHRF fleet?
          > > >
          > > > Has anyone outfitted their J28 with a masthead asymetrical?

        • J. Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 25, 2009
            Kurt...did you get the last hull they built? Mine is #69.
            From: "Kurt" <kbianculli@...>
            Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:30:21 -0000
            To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>

> [...]

            > > The upper shrouds on a J/28 attach to the mast just above the fractional fore stay. A mast head spinnaker would likely put too much lateral load on the upper mast. Look at the shrouds on a boat set up with a full rig (J/35). The shrouds on these boats go to the top of the mast.
            > >
            > > Bruce
            > >
            > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > We are new to the group and have just about completed the process of moving from a Colgate 26 (7 years) to a J28. The boat will be located on the Maine side of the Maine/NH border in the Kittery/Portsmouth area. The reason for the upsizing? There are just a few more luxuries on the J28 than the Colgate.
            > > >
            > > > Are there any good sites or information around on how to setup the J28 for the racing in the local PHRF fleet?
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone outfitted their J28 with a masthead asymetrical?

          • Kurt
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2009
              In a nutshell, I am not completely sure. :-)

              When J-boats first posted their J-28 page they stated that they had built 68 of them. Since I knew that was wrong (and since you have #69 you also know that was wrong) I sent an email to J-boats to say that I owned hull 71 and that I had previously spoken to Nan Hall at Hall Spars who said they had built 74 rigs for the 28. Neither Nan or Alan Johnstone could verify whether all the rigs went into boats or not so, as Alan said, until somebody says they have a higher hull number he was going to use 71 as the last one built. Unless somebody else in this forum pipes up to say they have a later number I guess I do have the last one built.

              I sail out of Marblehead, MA although the last four years have been extremely quiet on the sailing front for me due to my four year old son and two year old daughter. I hope to do more next season since my son has now started to show a real interest in sailing.

              > Kurt...did you get the last hull they built? Mine is #69.

            • J. Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2009
                71 it is, for now! Nice. Post some pix if you have some.
                From: "Kurt" <kbianculli@...>
                Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:23:48 -0000
                To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>