Re: [J28Sailors] Moving batteries forward

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hans:
      You really need to run single cables in this application.  Every cut/splice will add resistance and voltage drop.  Remember, you should achieve no more than 3-5% voltage drop and should size cables to that spec.

      On the rudder:  Any side to side play greater than 1/4-1/2" indicates further inpsection of the bearing is required.  To estimate play, with the boat out of the water, grasp the rudder blade towards the bottom and try to move the rudder back and forth athwartships.

      Jason

      On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:41 PM, andersenhans15 <hansandsharon@...> wrote:

      Did you have to install longer battery cables or could you splice in longer pieces?
      I am considering moving my two batteries next spring, the boat is on the dry now and it is getting cold here in southern ontario.
      How much play is ok as far as you know in the Rudder?
      Hanas.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
        I finally posted the pic's of my battery box moved to under the starboard sette. I cut the cover board in half and epoxied the removable cover in place. If I remember right the cables are about a ft shorter.
        BTW I have two group 24 batterys if your batteries are bigger (gp 27's) this may not work.