Moving batteries forward

  • andersenhans15
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
      Did you have to install longer battery cables or could you splice in longer pieces?
      I am considering moving my two batteries next spring, the boat is on the dry now and it is getting cold here in southern ontario.
      How much play is ok as far as you know in the Rudder?
      Hanas.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hanas,

        The battery cables are shorter now, no need to splice. I'll get picture of my batery box this week end.

        I still have some play in the rudder but it isn't bad.

        John

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "andersenhans15" <hansandsharon@...> wrote:

        > Did you have to install longer battery cables or could you splice in longer pieces?
        > I am considering moving my two batteries next spring, the boat is on the dry now and it is getting cold here in southern ontario.
        > How much play is ok as far as you know in the Rudder?
        > Hanas.

      • Lenny
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
          Hans: What do you mean by play in the rudder -- the shaft wobbling in the bearing, or slack in the cables so that the wheel turns a bit before the rudder starts to move? The latter is easily corrected by taking up on the steering cable turnbuckles accessible through the seat lockers, the former is, I gather, a lot harder to fix. Lenny

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
            Hans:
            You really need to run single cables in this application.  Every cut/splice will add resistance and voltage drop.  Remember, you should achieve no more than 3-5% voltage drop and should size cables to that spec.

            On the rudder:  Any side to side play greater than 1/4-1/2" indicates further inpsection of the bearing is required.  To estimate play, with the boat out of the water, grasp the rudder blade towards the bottom and try to move the rudder back and forth athwartships.

            Jason

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
              I finally posted the pic's of my battery box moved to under the starboard sette. I cut the cover board in half and epoxied the removable cover in place. If I remember right the cables are about a ft shorter.
              BTW I have two group 24 batterys if your batteries are bigger (gp 27's) this may not work.