Re: [J28Sailors] Pretty Photo

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2009
      Very cool.  That could be a nice 24 x 36 print on your office wall.  Maine has tremendous scenery; offset by a rediculously :-) short sailing season.

      The last time I was sailing in Maine was 20 years ago, last month.  And, yes, I was 12.

      PS, Lenny, got the manual back in the mail yesterday...thanks.

      Jason

      On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Lenny <lsreich@...> wrote:

      Not exactly J/28 related, but... I took a photo while out sailing last Sunday that I thought was worth sharing. This is the sort of stuff we have to put up with sailing the Maine coast. Owl's Head light guards the north end of Mussel Ridge Channel, just a couple of miles east of the entrance to Rockland Harbor.

      It's in the "Ruffian" folder; large size is probably best.

    • Lenny
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2009
        Well, now, Jason, the sailing season in Maine isn't all that much shorter than the Chesapeake... if you take into account that July and August are usually hot, humid, with very light-to-nonexistent air on the Bay. I grew up sailing Lightnings out of Back Creek, Annapolis, and at least that's how it was back in the Old Days. We mostly stayed ashore in July and August.

        So, you have April, May, and most of June, then things pick up again in mid-September, and you go until early November. That gives you five, maybe five-and-a-half months to our four (June-September). And I know people, tougher than I, who sail in Maine all through October and into November.

        One other nice thing about the Maine coast (at least northeast of Portland) is that among pleasure craft, the sailboats far outnumber the motorboats. Of course, we do have a touch of fog from time to time, ten feet of tide, and some pretty interesting currents, but no place is perfect...

        ;-)