Tachometer has died

  • lenny_reich
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2009
      We were out in the boat on Saturday and fired up the engine to return to the marina. I noticed the tach as the engine started, and it was working just fine. I dropped the engine back to idle, put the prop in gear, and then cranked up the throttle to what I thought was around 1500 rpm. When I looked at the tach, it was reading 500. I moved the throttle up a couple of hundred rpm and checked the tach--still 500. When I looked at it again about 60 seconds later, it read zero, and that's where it stayed.

      The fact that the tach failed in stages is interesting and must be a clue to what is wrong. Does anyone have an idea?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2009
        The tach on Yanamrs is electric signal.  The tach sender counts the revolutions of the flywheel and converts to electric signal read by the tach.  I would check ground wires, first, both on the cockpit panel panel and the sender.  You should also check the harness plug that the sender signal is routed through, it may have come loose.  My harness plugs are on the port side of the engine, near the transmission.  Finally, do your warning lights still come on?

        Jason

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2009
          Thanks for the suggestions, Jason. I will be down to the boat on Friday and will check everything you suggest.