Re: [J28Sailors] Photo of new traveler

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2009
      Lenny, looks good. You definitely need the high-beam track to span the cockpit.

      Also, I think you will find that adding fairleads (caps) to the cam
      cleats will be a nice addition, especially when you are trimming on
      the traveler from behind the wheel....

      JS

      On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:33 AM, lenny_reich<lsreich@...> wrote:

      > I have finally posted a photo of the new traveler on "Ruffian." It's Harken,
      > the big-boat size, which best approximated the Fico traveler track that came
      > on the boat. The Harken mid-size equipment was probably adequate for the
      > task but would have looked small in the space. The new stuff works great.

    • lenny_reich
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
        I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I'm not sure what it all cost. Here's why. I assumed that the original track was Harken because so much of the other hardware on the boat was. Wrong -- it's FICO. Anyway, I ordered the Harken end control blocks to what I thought (based on a measurement) was Harken big-boat track. They didn't fit. At that point I needed to take off the old track, get the Harken track plus a new car to work on it.

        I can tell you that the end control blocks cost $360 (for both), but my local sailmaker/rigger Doug Pope came to the boat, measured for the new track and got me the rest of the hardware. He bundled those items together with some other things I bought (new lifelines, a cleat on the mast for the spinnaker halyard, etc.), and I don't recall what each piece cost (and I can't find the receipt). Basically, he gave me 40% off whatever the Harken list price was. My guess is that the total for everything was around $800.

        On removing the old track, I figured out how to do that pretty easily. It occurred to me that rather than trying to pry or knock the track off, I could get better results from twisting it off. I waited for a hot, sunny day, and when the sun was high (to maybe soften the adhesive) took two pipe wrenches and attached to the track right beside where it goes onto the seats, applied some force to both wrenches, and bingo! the track popped right off. Wish I'd thought of that sooner.

        I hope this helps. It really is a nice arrangement. Now, if I could only get the hang of coming about from a broad reach without tangling the main sheet in the binnacle....