Re: [J28Sailors] J 28 Heavy at the stean

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2009
      Hans,
      I don't think you're going to be at all satisfied with any of the
      electric on-demand hot water heaters that are realistics options for
      the boat (cost, size, etc). Propane fired is an option, but it is
      costly. I might consider re-installing a small capacity, lighter
      weight water heater.

      All that said, these boats (and most of the other J's on this design
      era) are under sized in the stern and didn't have enough buoyancy to
      begin with. A small design flaw, I suppose, that was intended to
      maximize waterline length....but didn't work too well and creates drag
      more than anything.

      I like the idea of moving batteries (180-200 lbs in my case)...but I
      just don't know where to put them. The forward starboard settee area
      is an option, but I have big batteries and I don't know if they fit.
      Recall, also, that the holding tank is back there too, which can be
      another 80-100 lbs.

      Most of us, probably just 'deal with it' and raise the waterline a bit!

      JS