Re: Heavy Air Sail Plan / Trimming / Tuning

  • andersenhans15
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2009
      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

      > We had a good sail yesterday in the Chesapeake, a front blew through
      > and brought us NW winds. Conditions were 15-18knts, with gusting to
      > 22-23.
      >
      > I have to admit, I prefer to sail more upright, with moderate heel. I
      > don¡¦t mind the heeling in general, but what unsettles me is in the
      > gusts when the boats feels way overpowered and doesn¡¦t *seem* to want
      > to stiffen up. I am comfortable up to about 15 degrees of heel, but
      > when we keep going, I tend to bail out, either dropping the traveler
      > or heading up (or both). This probably has a lot to do with my
      > general lack of heavy air sailing experience. But, I have sailed on
      > my folks J/34c in similar conditions¡Kwhich seems so much stiffer and
      > better able to stand up to the gusts. Where I on the /28 tend to heel
      > more and maintain speed, the /34c puts her shoulder down and
      > accelerates, any increased heeling angle happens much slower.
      >
      > Everything I read tells me these boats should be good to 15-20knts
      > apparent upwind with a full main and, I suppose either a full or
      > partial genoa (depending on size). I have a newer North full batten
      > main and 145% #1, which I can reasonably reef down to 110-120%
      >
      > So I have a multiple stream of consciousness question:
      >
      > Those of you that sail your /28s in heavy air, what sailplan are you
      > using and how are you trimming out. For example, how far do you pull
      > the backstay down¡Kto the stern rail pulpit? Are you vang sheeting the
      > main, or dumping the mainsheet in gusts, or something entirely
      > different? For example, the 34c with, 2:1 admirals cup mainsheet
      > arrangement, can get the boom below perpendicular, say 15-20 degrees,
      > to the mast to really flatten the main¡K.is this even possible with our
      > 6:1 tackle on the 28? At what wind speeds are you reefing, and what
      > sail gets reefed first? Is there a heel angle that the boat really
      > stiffens up (that maybe I haven¡¦t gotten to yet ƒº). What size genoa
      > are you setting in these conditions¡K.it is necessary to keep the
      > center of effort forward, correct?
      >
      > Long winded, sorry! I appreciate any feedback.
      >
      > Jason

      Hi Jason,
      I notice that your dad has a J34, we have some interest in getting a J34 some day! Could I get your dads E:mail or would you give hom mine?
      Would like to know how he likes the boat and where he is sailing mainly.
      Do they all come with the Wing?Bulb Keel?, how does it sail to Weather?
      andersenhans 15.
      Thank You.
      Hans.
    • jason3317@gmail.com