Plumbing question

  • Lenny Reich
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
      I was commissioning "Ruffian's" fresh-water system today and came across a strange piece of plumbing. The drain hose from the head sink goes into a T, one side heading outboard to a marlon seacock that exits right at the water line, the other side going through a hose that snakes under the fuel tank and empties into the bilge through a strange fitting. I've posted a photo of the fitting in "Ruffian's" album.

      Now, when the water comes out the faucet and goes down the drain, it heads right for the bilge because that side leads down and the other is more-or-less level. The fitting looks like it should be attached to another hose, but none is there. Is this the way other J/28's are plumbed? Does anyone know the purpose of the hose to the bilge?

      Thanks.
    • jason3317@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
        Lenny, I can't look at the pics, but your setup seems exact to mine. I believe the fitting is a check valve. The bilge pump on compass rose is attached to the check valve and the bilge uses the sink drain as its overboard.

        Not a perfect system, I think.

        From: "Lenny Reich"
        Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 00:45:52 -0000
        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [J28Sailors] Plumbing question

        I was commissioning "Ruffian's" fresh-water system today and came across a strange piece of plumbing. The drain hose from the head sink goes into a T, one side heading outboard to a marlon seacock that exits right at the water line, the other side going through a hose that snakes under the fuel tank and empties into the bilge through a strange fitting. I've posted a photo of the fitting in "Ruffian's" album.

        Now, when the water comes out the faucet and goes down the drain, it heads right for the bilge because that side leads down and the other is more-or-less level. The fitting looks like it should be attached to another hose, but none is there. Is this the way other J/28's are plumbed? Does anyone know the purpose of the hose to the bilge?

        Thanks.

      • j28sailor50
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
          Lenny,

          Checked your pictures, Jason is correct, that is the line and check valve for the original submersible electric bilge pump. Looks like you have a different bilge pickup forward, that I do not have. The original set up tends to force bilge water up in the sink if you have a lot to pump. Then you need a good sink cleaning.

          If you do not need a line for the bilge pump, I would remove the T and install an elbow below the sink.

          Last year I found the line from the sink to the seacock dry rotted and cracked on the bottom side. Take a close look. My check valve also required replacement at that time.

          Bruce

          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, jason3317@... wrote:

          > Lenny, I can't look at the pics, but your setup seems exact to mine. I believe the fitting is a check valve. The bilge pump on compass rose is attached to the check valve and the bilge uses the sink drain as its overboard.
          >
          > Not a perfect system, I think.

        • Lenny Reich
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
            Very interesting. Yes, I have a separate bilge pump line. The pump itself sits in the compartment under the starboard setee, just forward of the fuel tank, and its outflow hose exits the side of the hull below the electric switch box and behind the setee seat back. I assumed that was standard, but apparently not.

            I would say that the check valve isn't working, because water from the head sink ran right out and into the bilge. Guess I'll replace the T with an elbow. Thanks, guys.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
              Lenny, looked at the photos. We've confirmed that the orphan hose /
              fitting is the check valve for a bilge pump.

              I am curious, however: do you know what the large hose / bronze
              reducer / small hose is for? The corrugated lt gray is the manual
              bilge pump.

              On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Lenny Reich<lsreich@...> wrote:

              > I was commissioning "Ruffian's" fresh-water system today and came across a
              > strange piece of plumbing. The drain hose from the head sink goes into a T,
              > one side heading outboard to a marlon seacock that exits right at the water
              > line, the other side going through a hose that snakes under the fuel tank
              > and empties into the bilge through a strange fitting. I've posted a photo of
              > the fitting in "Ruffian's" album.
              >
              > Now, when the water comes out the faucet and goes down the drain, it heads
              > right for the bilge because that side leads down and the other is
              > more-or-less level. The fitting looks like it should be attached to another
              > hose, but none is there. Is this the way other J/28's are plumbed? Does
              > anyone know the purpose of the hose to the bilge?
              >
              > Thanks.

            • Lenny Reich
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                Jason: That's the shower drain -- at least, I assume it is, but I haven't tried putting water through it. I'll do that next time I'm at the boat. The one I can't figure out is the black hose all the way to the left in the photo. It comes from the area of the water tank and terminates just out of the photo, under the floorboard.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                  Hmm. I am trying to picture my bilge...nope, I don't think I have
                  that mystery black hose. I wonder if it is a fresh water tank
                  vent/overflow?? It's pretty "easy" to slide the double berth + remove
                  the settee plywood cover to access the water tank to see where it
                  goes. In fact, I had to replace the plywood as it had rotted in the
                  corner near the bulkhead at some point before I bought the
                  boat...probably due to a little chain plate leakage.

                  Has anyone successfully replaced that shower drain hose that runs up
                  under the tank and fiberglass liner for the head? I thought about
                  tackling it, but stopped when I realized what a PITA it was going to
                  be.

                  John: I think it was you that posted you had a blige pump mounted in
                  the starboard settee. Can you post some pictures of the setup?

                  On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Lenny Reich<lsreich@...> wrote:

                  > Jason: That's the shower drain -- at least, I assume it is, but I haven't
                  > tried putting water through it. I'll do that next time I'm at the boat. The
                  > one I can't figure out is the black hose all the way to the left in the
                  > photo. It comes from the area of the water tank and terminates just out of
                  > the photo, under the floorboard.
                  >
                  > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Lenny, looked at the photos. We've confirmed that the orphan hose /
                  >> fitting is the check valve for a bilge pump.
                  >>
                  >> I am curious, however: do you know what the large hose / bronze
                  >> reducer / small hose is for? The corrugated lt gray is the manual
                  >> bilge pump.

                • jfws88
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                    Lenny, You're right. the hose with the filter on the end is the shower drain which by the way drains very slow. Be sure to keep the filter clean or you'll have a constent puddle in the shower.I took my filter off. The mystery hose with the check value propably went to a long gone bilge pump. You would be smart to remove it and eliminate the possiblite of the bilge filling ona port tack and a failed check valve. You should also have acheck valve going into the bottom of the head sink drain for the same reason. My failed once, sink full of salt water. The third hose looks like the suction hose for the bilge pump you have under your sette and the black hose going across the top, beats me.

                    John

                    --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

                    > Jason: That's the shower drain -- at least, I assume it is, but I haven't tried putting water through it. I'll do that next time I'm at the boat. The one I can't figure out is the black hose all the way to the left in the photo. It comes from the area of the water tank and terminates just out of the photo, under the floorboard.
                    >
                    > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Lenny, looked at the photos. We've confirmed that the orphan hose /
                    > > fitting is the check valve for a bilge pump.
                    > >
                    > > I am curious, however: do you know what the large hose / bronze
                    > > reducer / small hose is for? The corrugated lt gray is the manual
                    > > bilge pump.

                  • jfws88
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                      Nope not me, I think Lenny has that bilge pump under the sette. I have two bilge pumps in the bilge, One on the auto switch, the other hard wired to a switch on the panel.

                      I was very close to pulling the drain hose off the shower drain but did not see a way to get a new one on without pulling the floor.. I snaked the old one clean and put it back. PITA is being kind to that job.

                      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

                      > Hmm. I am trying to picture my bilge...nope, I don't think I have
                      > that mystery black hose. I wonder if it is a fresh water tank
                      > vent/overflow?? It's pretty "easy" to slide the double berth + remove
                      > the settee plywood cover to access the water tank to see where it
                      > goes. In fact, I had to replace the plywood as it had rotted in the
                      > corner near the bulkhead at some point before I bought the
                      > boat...probably due to a little chain plate leakage.
                      >
                      > Has anyone successfully replaced that shower drain hose that runs up
                      > under the tank and fiberglass liner for the head? I thought about
                      > tackling it, but stopped when I realized what a PITA it was going to
                      > be.
                      >
                      > John: I think it was you that posted you had a blige pump mounted in
                      > the starboard settee. Can you post some pictures of the setup?
                      >
                      > On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Lenny Reich<lsreich@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Jason: That's the shower drain -- at least, I assume it is, but I haven't
                      > > tried putting water through it. I'll do that next time I'm at the boat. The
                      > > one I can't figure out is the black hose all the way to the left in the
                      > > photo. It comes from the area of the water tank and terminates just out of
                      > > the photo, under the floorboard.
                      > >
                      > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@> wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> Lenny, looked at the photos. We've confirmed that the orphan hose /
                      > >> fitting is the check valve for a bilge pump.
                      > >>
                      > >> I am curious, however: do you know what the large hose / bronze
                      > >> reducer / small hose is for? The corrugated lt gray is the manual
                      > >> bilge pump.

                    • Lenny Reich
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                        Right, I'm the one with the bilge pump in the settee compartment. I'll take a picture of it the next time I'm on the boat, which should be Thursday or Friday this week.