Re: Getting the traveler track off

  • Lenny Reich
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
      John: When you say it took some effort to get it up -- what, exactly, did you do? I have already applied a fair amount of force and don't want to damage the track or the boat. Thanks.

      > Lenny I changed my traveller a few years aogo and it was "glued and screwed" down. It did take some effort to get iit up. I replaced it with a gauraher (sp) unit it am very happy with it. See my pictures.
      >
      > John

    • jfws88
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
        Lenny, I seem to remember me being the irresistable force winning againest the immovable object. I think I did chip the gelcoat aroungd the original mount holes. If I had to do it again I would try a cable saw to cut throught the bedding coumpound. I knew I was drilling new mount so I didn't get to upset. The track wentin the dumpster.

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

        > John: When you say it took some effort to get it up -- what, exactly, did you do? I have already applied a fair amount of force and don't want to damage the track or the boat. Thanks.
        >

        > > Lenny I changed my traveller a few years aogo and it was "glued and screwed" down. It did take some effort to get iit up. I replaced it with a gauraher (sp) unit it am very happy with it. See my pictures.
        > >
        > > John

      • j28verve
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2009
          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@...> wrote:

          > Lenny, I seem to remember me being the irresistable force winning againest the immovable object. I think I did chip the gelcoat aroungd the original mount holes. If I had to do it again I would try a cable saw to cut throught the bedding coumpound. I knew I was drilling new mount so I didn't get to upset. The track wentin the dumpster.
          >
          > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@> wrote:
          > >
          > > John: When you say it took some effort to get it up -- what, exactly, did you do? I have already applied a fair amount of force and don't want to damage the track or the boat. Thanks.
          > >

          > > > Lenny I changed my traveller a few years aogo and it was "glued and screwed" down. It did take some effort to get iit up. I replaced it with a gauraher (sp) unit it am very happy with it. See my pictures.

          John - what Garhauer traveler did you use? I replaced my Harken windward sheeting car last year -- and I still hate it. It is one of those little things that annoys me. The windward car is great for bringing it above center line, but every time I tack, it is loose and I have to re-center it. I can't believe I spent $200 on this privilege of owning Harken.

          -Bob

          > > > John

        • jfws88
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2009
            Bob,

            I have a garhuer MT-3 traveller but without the standard blocks on the end. Instead I used ther're 25-26 halyard lift blocks to run the lines up vertical on the cockpit combing. A cam cleat finishes it off. I also use one line to go all the way around so I can release the windward cleat from the leeward side. Works very nice. See the pictures in my album.

            John