914Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Propeller advice plz

    Sep 15, 2013
      2.62 :1  sounds familiar

      There is a huge difference between the martec 16x14 and 16x12  id have to see a HUGE differnece to spend 2k on a folding prop
      just m 2 cents, then again, as I have mentioned before, i have always been a dinghy sailor...a j24 used to seem huge, so what do i know lol

      On Sep 15, 2013, at 11:43 PM, Jeff Keen wrote:

      I can second JP's response that the prop is RH rotation on a 1.00 inch shaft.  I have an original Kanzaki transmission with a 2.62 to 1 reduction ratio.  On my boat, this information is posted on the transmission unit.  I also have an old Martec and am looking to make a change.  Will be interested to hear about your experience.

      Jeff Keen

      On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 2:02 PM, <sailingmaster@...> wrote:

      I originally got the specs for the prop shaft etc from the old J28 front page website.  It seems that jboats has changed that page and the info is missing.

      The prop is a RH, on a one inch shaft.  I have forgotten the reduction ratio for the transmission but I believe you can find it on the transmission itself.
      Martec also can provide that as they originally supplied the props for the boat.

      The original prop was a martec 16x14, i have now a 16x12 that is a better fit.
      I have an old 16x14 that needs minor balancing if ur interested. I bought on ebay and would like to get back some of the cost.

      there was some discussion here a few months back.  I am inclined to believe the boat will be smoother with one of the more expensive props like a gori or a max prop
      they are much more expensive  The Martec was about 800 plus shipping.  I had a quote on a gori and its was 1600?  i think.  Max prop and vari fold are more I think.
      I went with the Martec as I am in the worst harbor in the world for barnacles.  I still have a diver once per month as they infest my prop!  I think they would jam a geared prop
      if the boat were to sit for more than a week or so without use.

      Im pretty happy with the martec. It does get push the boat at 6 kts, a bit more if I really max the rpm.  It also will stop the boat in about one boat lenght if needed, just as they claim.
      Reverse is very good. and there is just  bit of prop walk to port, which is nice if you have to turn the boat in a tight space,(burst of reverse to kick stern to port, then hard right rudder and forward, and u can spin in  a
      boat length if no strong crosswind or current)
      There is some vibration, but now that I have been on a few other boats of the same age, its seems about normal.
      Not sure you ever get 100% free of vibration with the little diesels.

      Hope this helps

      JP
      On Sep 14, 2013, at 11:42 AM, mcclurejsteven wrote:

      I would like to get a quote on some of the props you mentioned. I looked in the ownwer's manual on this site, but where can you find the gear ratio, shaft size and rotation info requested on the quote form?
      Thanks,
      Steve

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@... wrote:

      > I HAVE A MARTEC ON MY BOAT NOW, I WISH I HAD SAVED A LITTLE LONGER
      > AND BOUGHT A VARIFOLD, MAX PROP OR GORI... THE MARTEC VIBRATES A BIT
      > BUT OTHEWISE ITS PRETTY GOOD.
      >
      > I ORIGINALLY TRIED TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS AND BOUGHT A MARTEC 16X14 OFF
      > OF EBAY. THIS IS THE ORIGINAL PROP THAT JBOAT/TPI PUT ON THE BOAT AND
      > ITS A BIT OVERPROPED BUT STILL GOOD.
      > THE REASON WHY I WENT NEW IS THAT THIS PROP NEEDS TO BE BALANCED.
      >
      > I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME OF MY MONEY BACK AND WOULD SELL IT FAIRLY
      > CHEAP IF YOU JUST WANTED A PROP TO GET YOU BY FOR A SEASON OR TWO. I
      > COULD HAVE MY MARINA GET IT BALANCED AND SHIP IT OUT IN AWEEK IF YOU
      > ARE INTERSTED. I ALSO HAVE AN OLDER 3 BLADE PROP THAT CAME WITH MY
      > BOAT (FIXED) ITS A BIT MUCH, BUT AGAIN YOU COULD GET BY WITH IT IN A
      > PINCH. I WILL GIVE YOU THE THREE BLADE IF YOU WANT TO BUY MY MARTEC.
      >
      > YOU CAN EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT SAILINGMASTER@...
      >
      > GLAD TO HEAR YOU HAVE A 28, WELCOME TO THE CULT! YOU WILL LOVE THE
      > BOAT!
      >
      > JP
      >
      > On Jul 14, 2013, at 3:08 PM, wymanfrank wrote:
      >
      > > My newly acquired J28, hull #8, arrives in Charleston tonight! I've
      > > got a bit of work before refloating. Survey says fixed 2 blade prop
      > > is shot and needs replacing. I'd really like a nice folding
      > > (probably 3 blade max Prop) but my boat kitty is now really low and
      > > I'm pretty certain this is where I can cut a grand or more. I've
      > > decided to put off the purchase of a nice folding prop for a year or
      > > so and go with a inexpensive fixed prop for now. Any advice on makes/
      > > models that are inexpensive (relative to folding)? 2 or 3 blade?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Frank

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic