865Chainplate Island Photos

    Jun 21, 2013
      Hello All,

      As promised, attached are a couple of photos of my chainplate islands. They look a little crude up close as I never took the time to fine sand and finish them. I originally painted them to match the off white deck and then last fall when I had a batch of epoxy paste filler mixed for some other project, I applied some to the sides and base area of my islands to fill in some voids. Thus, the two colors. Someday I'll finish them off to look a little better but today I simply snapped these quick pictures when I first arrived at my boat, some 1400 miles from home in Florida. I built them as described in the article I posted last year and after replacing, from the under side, a fair amount of rotted core around the chainplates (about a foot in all directions). My boat is now totally sound and totally leak proof.

      image.jpeg

      image.jpeg

      I'll post more photos to the gallery when I get a chance but right now I am concentrating on getting her prepared for launching next week.

      On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:14 AM, "jhoagg123" <jhoagg123@...> wrote:

      I am now another one who has pulled my chainplates to rebed them. etc. Last year my purchase survey found some moisture in the deck around the chainplates, but not an excessive amount. That is what I have found. Starboard side core wet for an inch or two around the deck chainplate cutout and port side less so. The fiberglass itself in good shape. Dug out the wet core until got to good solid wood. Filling with epoxy should make that deck very strong. It's an interesting job and impressive to see the ruggedness of the bulkhead the plates bolt onto.