755Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Rudder Question

    Apr 29 4:27 PM
      Yes, as a former dinghy sailor, I know the importance of keeping the mast pointed skyward and the water on the outside of the boat....

      I think if you had a real issue, you would have sunk by now. I can tell you she would go down FAST. The past winter while frostbiting in Boston,  A J24 got knocked down with a cockpit locker open
      She sank in under 3-4 mins....It was quite spectacular.  I think  j28 with a 3000 lb keel and diesel might beat that!

      On Apr 29, 2013, at 7:22 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:

      Thank you everybody! I was a bit concerned.

      Brad

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jhoagg123" <jhoagg123@...> wrote:

      > That is my experience also. It seems those bolts can and should be loose on most or all of our boats. Tightening them binds the rudder. I suppose there could be an exception for a boat that has very little packing in there.
      >
      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Keen <sendtokeen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Great info, JP. The bolts on my boat are loose too.
      > >
      > > Jeff Keen
      > >

      > > On Sunday, April 28, 2013, wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > When I bought my boat, the rudder bearing had just been replaced by the
      > > > previous owners...you can read about their problems on the list serve posts.
      > > >
      > > > I had to have the bearings upper and lower trued by my boat yard (a really
      > > > good one btw) once I bought the boat.
      > > >
      > > > the problem is that the "stuffing box for the rudder" is not
      > > > perpendicular to the base line of the plans for the hull...its
      > > > perpendicular to the bottom of the hull, which is why so many people have
      > > > issues replacing the rudder bearings..
      > > > am I making sense? mine was and is also pretty loose....if you tighten it
      > > > too much your rudder will be very stiff since the upper and lower bearings
      > > > are perpendicular to different planes. I had to have my boat yard dress my
      > > > upper bearing so that wheel would turn easily.
      > > >
      > > > First, i think the top of the flange is above the outside waterline so the
      > > > danger of leaking is minimal, Second I think you only need enough tension
      > > > on those bolts to keep the flax packing in place. It does not have to be
      > > > as tight
      > > > as the prop shaft rudder bearing because it is above water line...
      > > >
      > > > When my bearing was correctly fixed, the guys from my boat yard came out
      > > > for a spin on the boat. The 28 is ass heavy to begin with and when u get
      > > > her up to hull speed with the diesel she "squats" even lower in the stern.
      > > > If you are worried, take her out and run at full speed with the engine and
      > > > have someone down in the locker to see if water is coming in...thats what
      > > > by boat yard did and I have a very dry boat. even with the stuffin box for
      > > > the prop dripping, my bilge pump never runs unless the ice the cooler is
      > > > melting fast...
      > > >
      > > > Your boats sounds like mine, and I had the same concerns.. no problems in
      > > > three years (yet people that design and build these things are
      > > > engineers...im just a band teacher!)
      > > >
      > > > hope this helps, but I think if you consult a good yard they will come to
      > > > the same conclusion....the guys that built the boat did not align the
      > > > rudder shaft/bearings to the same plane.....
      > > >
      > > > btw, my rudder is finally fixed and no leaks...but my bolts are still
      > > > loose!
      > > >

      > > > JP
      > > > On Apr 28, 2013, at 8:45 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:
      > > >

      > > > I was down in the cockpit locker yesterday and noticed two "flanges" where
      > > > the rudder stock comes up through the hull. They are unpainted fiberglass
      > > > and have 8 bolts through the two flanges as if to bolt them together. The
> [...]

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic