628Re: Diesel questions continued

    Nov 16, 2012
      John, my two cent and advice. I used to pressure test radiatirs all the time to find the leaks. There is a simple pump set-up you can get at a auto parts store. My guess is you'll find a small leak in the heat exchanger and small amounts of engine coolant are going out with the raw water. It doesn't sound like you ever get to a temp that would boil the water never mind the coolant.

      Regarding the soot stains on the transom I get them too. Ther're a PIA to get off.

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "wjmfoster" <wjmfoster@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > I'm no guru and I am not a mechanic. I do perform my own maintenance and I am an engineer by day. Here are a few thoughts first, mantras if you will, based on my experience.
      >
      > • Start simple/cheap first working up to the most complicated expensive potential problems.
      > • Don't borrow trouble. (personally I have a hard time following this, tending to worry about the things that never happen but might)
      >
      > First off do you know if the coolant level was topped off this past spring?
      > Was the overflow container full of coolant this past spring?
      >
      > Barring the answers to the above its hard to say what to do.
      >
      > If the answers to the above questions are, you don't know/don't recall or never checked, then following the mantra, start simple I would suggest you top off the coolant, draining the overflow tank for now. Then run the engine up to temperature/load and monitor the situation. This of course may mean waiting until spring and if you do find a problem then you will have to deal with it at that time. I know this may not be ideal as you have all the time in the world now over the winter.
      >
      > When you do run the engine, monitor the coolant level closely after running the engine for a few hours at temp. Keeping in mind the coolant expands considerably when hot. Ie: if it's cold when you check first and top it off, as it should be, you will need to wait for it to fully cool off again to actually be able to compare levels. This is also one reason why you may not have had your high temp alarm sound. As the engine warms that fluid level will rise as the coolant expands, more than you think too. This rise may have been sufficient in your case to fully cover the tube stack and permit effective cooling to take place, and if so then I doubt any harm was done on that side of things to the engine.
      >
      > Another thing to consider first, before topping off the coolant is, are all the peacock drains on the coolant system fully closed? There are some on the side of the engine for draining it, did you accidently open one while winterizing the engine? Drain it into the bilge? They are on the starboard side of the engine near the lift pump/dip stick, it's all in that same area. Do you have a hot water heater? If so, are the connections here sound or do they leak?
      >
      > Next, the drip pan under the engine, is it clean/dry? Or is coolant here, I'm assuming no coolant is here as you sound the sort that would have noticed and commented.
      >
      > What about the bilge? Is there any coolant there? I'm thinking if you accidently opened the drain on the engine it might have not been something you saw in the darkness of the engine compartment, the drains have little hoses on them that take the coolant down to the bilge beside the engine foundation. Does the bilge smell of coolant?

> [...]
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic