614Re: Bleeding the fuel system

  • mcclurejsteven@bellsouth.net
    Oct 27, 2012
      Wow, thank you all for the great advice!

      We bought our boat last year and this is our first diesel.

      We invited guests to go out last Sunday and the engine cranked on the first turn as always, and warmed up for about ten minutes then just acted like it ran out of fuel. We tried with no success to crank it back up, but no joy.

      There was a spare primary filter on the boat, so we put it on, but could not get fuel to flow back into it. We were unable to ever get it cranked up again, but it was hot as blazes and we decided to call it a day.

      When we had the boat hauled this spring, I had the yard remove the tank and clean it out and replenished it with fresh fuel as I did not know what was in the tank or how long it had been there. The yard says there fuel has algaecide in it, but I added a little of my own, too.

      I will check the hose from the tank hopefully tomorrow and maybe it is plugged up. If that's not it, I guess I will pull the lift pump and inspect the diaphragm.

      Please feel free to continue to trouble shoot and mentor!

      Thanks,

      Steve McClure
      Fairhope, AL
      Fiona Hull # 62

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, David Hastings <david.hastings@...> wrote:

      > I owned a J29 for 28 years and changed the fuel filters only once and that was because I ran it dry one time. I have owned my J28 four years and changed the filters the first year. I don't anticipate changing them again in the near future as it is running fine. I do top off my tanks each fall and also add a healthy dose of "Store-an-Start" each fall. It's no big deal.
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > David L. Hastings
      > 5608 W. Woodside Dr.
      > Crystal River, FL 34429
      > Home: 352-794-6440
      > Cell: 315-345-2078
      >
      > On Oct 26, 2012, at 6:42 PM, "Stahl, Stephen" <stahl@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I last changed my fuel filter in Sept 2009. I have just owned the
      > > boat for more than 20 years, so I have done a lot of filter changes.
      > > A dirty fuel tank was the issue when I first got the boat, but after
      > > cleaning it and installing new fuel lines, I get three or four
      > > seasons from a filter.
      > > Steve
      > >
      > > At 06:24 PM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
      > > >
      > > >if you keep your fuel clean and clean the tank, i thinkg you can go
      > > >at LEAST 2 seasons without issue..
      > > >My filters were totally clean after three years, but I am anal about
      > > >stabile, and algiicide in the fuel. i am also sure that at least
      > > >twice a year, it take the boat out and play power boat, i e run at
      > > >top rpm for 2-3 hours to make sure
      > > >i burn off old fuel, get the diesel up to top rpm and temp and purge
      > > >the system of any carbon build up
      > >
      > > My Yanmar gets about 2 to 3 hrs per gallon of diesel, so you would
      > > only be burning of one gallon of fuel with the above routine. How
      > > does this get rid of only the old fuel? Can the injectors somehow
      > > recognize the old diesel molecules from the fresh ones and segregate
      > > them, only burning the old? :)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic