61Re: Jazz #289 Hull number 9

  • thconway1
    Jun 9, 2009
      I race in the non-spinnaker division and do well. In light air, a pearson 26 and Albin Cumulus 28 (sp?) are faster. In anything over 15 knots, we will usually be able to win a race with boatspeed alone. Over 20 knots and no one can keep up.

      I keep a full main up to 25 knots and then reef once or twice. I will load the backstay to flatten it and drop the trav so only the back 15% is working. The 140% jib will do well with that and the boat is pretty balanced. If the water is flat, I can sail with some luff in the jib and still make close to 6 knots.

      While upwind in light air is slow, Jazz will excel going downwind. I think the big main is the difference over the masthead boats that beat me to the windward mark. Getting upwind in light stuff, I foot more than anyone and bring the trav up and sheet out. The key is to just keep the boat moving and not worry about the angle. The boat does not seem to point in the light stuff.

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@...> wrote:

      > Tom, I read your Blog. It seems you do pretty well in your fleet. What kind s of boats to you race againest.
      >
      > I have yet to completely figure out how my boat trims out the best. Althought I'm pretty sure the boat like a pretty full main up to about 15 knots of wind. Is your's the same?
      >
      > John

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic