488Re: looking for j28 for sale

  • Kurt
    Nov 3, 2011
      Hi Bill,

      I response to your earlier question about moisture at the strut and if there is any core there... There isn't any core for approx 6" on either side of the centerline. I found this out when I put in new speed and depth transducers.

      In my opinion pumping the water out of the rudder stock with a long hose and hand pump is the way to go. I remember the first year I was laying up my J-28 for the winter and discovering the water inside the rudder. I had a moment of dread until I pumped it out and realized (by sticking my finger in it and tasting it) that it was fresh water. It turns out (in my case at least) the water I have to pump out each year is just condensation that pools in the rudder stock and not salt water finding its way in. Hopefully yours is the same.

      Kurt
      Hull #71

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "wjmfoster" <wjmfoster@...> wrote:

      > JP,
      >
      > Thanks, i'll get back to you via personal email, but you have sparked my interest with your comments about the rudder.
      >
      > For one, how is your rudder bearing? i have noticed my lower bearing has about 1/4" total slop from side to side so i am not too worried yet, but its going on the list of things to address down the road, as i understand this is a failing on the J28.
      >
      > I also noticed when looking in the inspection port above the rudder post it is hollow, fiberglass tube and i could see some water isnide the tube. i was not yet sure what to do about this, but for one figured water inside the tube where the boat had been out of the water for 2 years was not good, but also good. ie: it had not drained out indicating it was/is watertight?
      >
      > you drill a hole in your rudder to drain it, when you did this how much came out? where exactly did you drill it? the post does not run down all the way to the bottom of the blade as best i can tell. is there a reported issue with water freezing indise the rudder post and then cracking the post? very curious and somewhat worrying. i might try pumping this water out with a hand pump and long hose and seeing how far down the holow shaft goes tongiht and loooking into this more.
      >
      > I'm very interested to hear what you have found.
      >
      > Bill
      >

      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, john power <sailingmaster@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would love to discuss these issues before I get started on the
      > > project.
      > >
      > > I live in Enfield, CT and keep my boat in BLACK ROCK (near Brdgeport)
      > > I lived aboard all last summer, as I run a large junior sailing
      > > program on the western end of the sound.
      > > After this year I will be looking for summer jobs (I am a teacher) in
      > > E CT, RI or up in MA BAY so I can move the boat bak there were the
      > > sailing is better. The boat is very comfortable both sailing and in
      > > terms of sleeping?living aboard, IM 6.3 and had no issues.
      > >
      > > Originally I had planned to bring my boat to my house for the winter
      > > so I could use a dehumidifier and heat. I ended up with some rudder
      > > bearing issues this winter so my boat is in the yard in Black Rock.
      > >
      > > I plan on opening the deck and applying heat/hot air and relying on
      > > the dry winter conditions (I have an awesome Fairclough winter cover
      > > so things stay really dry on deck and there is some actual solar
      > > heating on warm days.
      > > I am also thinking of using Silica Gel to help wick addtional
      > > moisture. The CPES will displace some moisture, but you need to get
      > > things as dry as possible first.
      > > Honestly, I think ALL of these boats have this problem to one degree
      > > or another, owners are just unaware or unconcerned. The moisture
      > > meters are only relative numbers and are not the final word, unless
      > > you acually use the type that you drill into the boat and insert the
      > > meter.

> [...]
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic