465Re: Any J 28's for sale? E Coast, Shoal Draft?

  • icdb03
    Aug 31, 2011
      i lucked into my first tour inside/out of an actual j/28 this summer. shoal draft model. owner had owned/sailed a j/29 for 20 years prior to purchasing this boat. he said he didn't find the shoal-28 "that much less able" (quotes for something like that) pointing-wise vs his old (and presumably standard-keel'd) j/29. and comparatively i'd imagine a j/29, if anything pointing higher than a j/28. for what worth...

      any other performance hit besides pointing?

      counterpoising that hit (acknowledged, however slight or large)¬ówouldn't the shoal model track better + afford some speed advantage surfing offwind?

      tia for all thoughts.

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

      > I suspect less than 10% of the total were shoal. I've only ever seen 1
      > listed for sale. You save 1 ft, but I will bet the performance hit is
      > significant.
      >
      > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Yeah and I wonder how many of the 71 boat made were shoal drafts? 5' draft
      > > is not much, many larger boats have 5' keel as their shoal draft.
      > >
      > > ------------------------------
      > > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: jason3317@...
      > > Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:50:25 +0000
      > > Subject: Re: [J28Sailors] Any J 28's for sale? E Coast, Shoal Draft?
      > >

      > > I have to ask, why shoal draft?
      > > ------------------------------
      > > *From: * "icdb03" <cdb@...>
      > > *Sender: * J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      > > *Date: *Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:48:13 -0000
      > > *To: *<J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      > > *ReplyTo: * J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      > > *Subject: *[J28Sailors] Any J 28's for sale? E Coast, Shoal Draft?
      > >

      > > Hi gang,
      > > I'm in the market for a boat if anyone can steer me.
      > >
      > > Let's save owner & me broker fee.
      > >
      > > All considered; preferences per subject.
      > >
      > > Best,
      > > Christopher

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic