444Re: Diesel questions continued

    Jun 2, 2011
      Jason, Thats Ok we can disagree and I do believe that some additives are good. My information comes from a guy at Mack boring about my boat and from a friend who runs a big sport fishing boat w/monster diesels.

      You are correct about the fuel usage but more importantly how often the fuel gets turned over at the source. Diesel that's been sitting in a tank all winter at a recreational marina is certainly going to have more crap in it than a commerical fuel dock. (they love us sailors with our 12 gallon tanks)

      My point about additives is theres a lot of them out there and they don't always compliment each other when mixing them. And there are specific amounts that get added per tank size so you need to be careful.

      I also agree we need more information from JP

      John

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

      > Jo
      > I have to respectfully (but strongly) disagree here. The use of a biocide
      > and select other additives are widely accepted practices that should have
      > zero effect on the operation of a diesel. The size of the tank really is
      > not the determining factor, but it is how often you go through the fuel!
      > The diesel "bug" can grow in a mason jar, given the proper conditions. In
      > the proper concentrations, I can't imagine a problem. Yanmar specifically
      > recommends the use of FPPF products (I use the lubricity additive, plus a
      > biocide).
      >
      > It's hard to diagnose these problems. I think we need more info from JP:
      >
      > What RPM does this happen? Or, at all RPMs?
      > Can you hear the engine sound change, or is it just the RPM (trying to
      > eliminate a sender, or loose wiring problem)
      > Any obvious loss of power?
      > Any pinging / ticking noise?
      > Did this just start happening, or has been present since you took
      > possession.
      > What size prop? And can you reach max RPM
      >
      > I am wondering if there is a minor, minor air leak at the Racor that is
      > allowing fuel to drain back prior to start up (there is enough fuel in the
      > secondary filter and HP pump to start the motor).
      >
      > Check the big bolt at the top of the Racor and make sure it is tight, double
      > check the plastic water drain screw...even a 1/4 turn can make a difference)
      >
      > Jason
      >
      > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM, John <jfws88@...> wrote:
      >

      > > JP, A couple of things I missed in your first post, the engine runs fine
      > > for some time and then starts to fluxuate? That doesn't sound like air any
      > > more (but check it anyway). It may have something to do with the additives.
      > >
      > > BTW, I never put anything other than fuel in my tank. These tanks are 12
      > > gallons, very small by most standards. Deisal fuel additives are really
      > > meant for LARGE fuel tanks where there is a lot of surface area for stuff to
      > > grow. I've owned my boat for eight years and never had an issue with fuel. I
      > > did pull the tank for a cleaning one time but it was pretty clean when I did
      > > it. My 2 cents, don't add anything.
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, John Power <sailingmaster@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Sounds good. I will check it. Im just wondering why it will run fine for
      > > 10-20 mins, then the rpms get funky, then it goes away.
      > > > Seems to me if there was an air leak like you describe, it would show up
      > > as soon as the engine started. Still I amgoing to follow your advice....
      > > >
      > > > I am goingt toand check my foredeck too. My surveyor completely missed a
      > > spot at the starboard chainplate. That will be my upside down project later
      > > this summer since I am already in the water, luckily I think I found it
      > > early and i can probably use a dremel or fein sander and dig out between the
      > > glass layers of the deck and pack glass in there to restore the integrity of
> [...]
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic