443Re: Diesel questions continued

  • Kurt
    Jun 1, 2011
      How many RPM does it fluctuate when it happens? Is it possible the load is fluctuating due to waves? The governor keeps the RPMs fairly steady when the engine load is varying due to the boat climbing up/sliding down waves. However you will still see small fluctuations.

      Kurt

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, john power <sailingmaster@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the advice. It happened before i did fuel additives as well
      >
      > I m stumped. I am going with the air theory for now. Just makes me
      > nervous. I am waiting for the day when it stops and I need it....
      >
      > Thanks for the help
      >
      > JP
      > On Jun 1, 2011, at 9:37 PM, John wrote:
      >
      > > JP, A couple of things I missed in your first post, the engine runs
      > > fine for some time and then starts to fluxuate? That doesn't sound
      > > like air any more (but check it anyway). It may have something to do
      > > with the additives.
      > >
      > > BTW, I never put anything other than fuel in my tank. These tanks
      > > are 12 gallons, very small by most standards. Deisal fuel additives
      > > are really meant for LARGE fuel tanks where there is a lot of
      > > surface area for stuff to grow. I've owned my boat for eight years
      > > and never had an issue with fuel. I did pull the tank for a cleaning
      > > one time but it was pretty clean when I did it. My 2 cents, don't
      > > add anything.
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, John Power <sailingmaster@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Sounds good. I will check it. Im just wondering why it will run
      > > fine for 10-20 mins, then the rpms get funky, then it goes away.
      > > > Seems to me if there was an air leak like you describe, it would
      > > show up as soon as the engine started. Still I amgoing to follow
      > > your advice....
      > > >
      > > > I am goingt toand check my foredeck too. My surveyor completely
      > > missed a spot at the starboard chainplate. That will be my upside
      > > down project later this summer since I am already in the water,
      > > luckily I think I found it early and i can probably use a dremel or
      > > fein sander and dig out between the glass layers of the deck and
      > > pack glass in there to restore the integrity of the area and block
      > > out furthe water penetration. I plan on removing everything this
      > > winter, drying out the core as much as possible with some acetone
      > > and rebedding, hoping to avoid the whole re core issue as long as
      > > possible
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the advice.
      > > >
      > > > JP
      > > >
      > > > On Jun 01, 2011, at 01:09 PM, John <jfws88@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > JP, my guess is you have a very small air leak in the fuel system
      > > that is closing up with thermal expansion. I'd double check all the
      > > hose clamps on the fuel lines and take out and clean or at least
      > > tighten the bleed screw on the top of the primary filter.
      > > > If the filter was the problem it wouldn't go away with temperature
      > > and would get worst as you loaded the moter or rev'ed it up.
      > > >
      > > > John

      > > as I go.
      > > pretty headache free....so here goes.

      > > diesel on my boat, the engine rpms will fluctuate. The problem will
      > > last a minute or two, then it seems to go away.
      > > weather, but it continues now as the temps are up in the 80s. How
      > > concerned should I be?

> [...]
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic