399Re: [J28Sailors] Re: yanmar diesel

  • J. Smith
    Apr 1, 2011
      I would also add it is useful to spin the motor under decompression (close the seacock first) for 15-20 seconds to get some oil flowing before trying to start. The oil has drained down into the pan over layup.
      From: "GO JETS" <actionman@...>
      Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:32:27 -0000
      To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: yanmar diesel

      I am a little crazy about my engine, especially in the spring. I really baby it. I may over do it, but here is some extra advice.

      When starting in the water, be careful not to turn it over for more than 10 seconds. You may flood the engine with water if you keep turning it and it does not start. Not sure about the specifics of flooding the engine, but I took a Larry Berlin course at Yanmar and that was a big worry.

      To make it start fast, I do the following:

      1. Charge the batteries to full charge right before turning the engine. I figure the more turning power the better.

      2. I prime the fuel line. I unscrew the fuel bleed screw above the secondary filter and pump the manual fuel pump in the back of the engine until some fuel comes out. This also prevents me from forgetting to open the fuel line.

      3. I use a small heater and blow it towards the engine for an hour or two while I work on other items. This makes the engine somewhat warm. I am careful not to directly heat one small spot of the engine. I want the whole thing evenly warm.

      4. Start your engine.

      It definitely is overboard, but it works for me since I usually start it on a cold day for the first time. For three years, the engine has turned over in under 5 seconds.

      If it is not turning over after 10 seconds, I'll stop and wait a few minutes before trying again. If it is still not starting, I'll close the sea water intake before attempting again to make sure I don't flood the exhaust and backfill the engine with sea water.

      I am no expert, so I tend to go a little excessive on the normal advice.

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <misailor@...> wrote:

      > Also, check your trans oil level (in the water) and coolant level.
      >
      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@> wrote:
      > >

      > > If the fuel filter, impeller and oil was changed in the fall, put the boat in the water, open the seacock, turn it on and make sure water comes out the exhaust.
      > > We put a date on the fuel filter, so we know when it was replaced.
      > > And watch the "dripping" from stuffing box, to make sure it isn't too leaky.
      > > http://www.boatus.com/boattech/Casey/StuffingBox.htm
      > >
      > > And new zincs on the prop shaft. We had one on the boat and it was gone when we took the boat out. Guess we will go with 2 this year. This fall I noticed that quite a few sailboats in the yard had 2 zincs and they weren't all used up, but any boat with just one was gone.
      > >
      > > We have Group 27 batteries that came with the boat, but there isn't enough room to use battery boxes with the 27s in the original battery cubby.
      > >
      > > Roy
      > >

      > > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: sailingmaster@
      > > Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:52:49 +0000
      > > Subject: [J28Sailors] yanmar diesel
      > >

      > > Does anyone know where to get an owners manual (not service book) for a yanmar 23GM?
      > >
      > > Any thoughts on commissioning for spring for a new guy?
      > >
      > > How about batteries for a J28. Group27 90amp?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > JP

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic