257Re: First Sail/Race

  • Lenny
    May 21, 2010
      Roy: Glad to hear you are underway already. Yes, with the J/28 well trimmed, it will keep up with some noticeably larger boats in moderate winds. When the breeze builds, you may find it harder to keep up with them.

      What was your experience with the helm? I know that you were concerned that it felt too tight out of the water. It seemed just fine to me, but you may have different standards. On seeing the telltales from the windward side of the cockpit: I think that the difference is that the J/28, like most J Boats, has the mast considerably further forward than other sloops, and that's what blocks the view.

      You may have noticed that the boarding ladder is missing a teak tread. I removed that tread because it interfered with the sight line to the name on the transom. I just discovered the errant tread in my basement as I was going over stuff to take to my J/40 and realized what it was. If you want it, let me know and we'll figure out how to get it to you.

      Best to all -- Lenny

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@...> wrote:

      > Well the old Ruffin, now known as Barefoot Children II, had our first sail which was a practice race last night. We did OK. We were able to keep up with 3 of the fleet's longest boats, 39'-48' range, up wind. Had the shrouds set at 900 for the uppers and 780 on the lowers. The wind was in 7-10 knots range. No scoring was done. We got smoked downwind by the bigger boats mainly because we only had the 135 jib. We haven't had time to setup the aysmmetrical. The downwind leg was more of a broad reach, too bad we did have the spinnaker, it would have been interesting to see how we would have done.
      >
      > I was a little surprised to find out I couldn't see the telltails from the windward side.
      >
      > That's all for now.
      >
      > Pat and Roy

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic