227Re: Gooseneck Bushings

  • Kurt
    Feb 22, 2010
      Hi Jason,

      Not all of us are so lucky as to be still sailing in February! The mast on my boat is unstepped and in storage so I can't easily go check it right now, however my memory tells me that 1/2" is more play than I have. I do have two nylon washers that are about 1/8" thick each, one on top of the gooseneck fitting (but below the welded tang) and the other below. These take up some of the play but even 1/4" seems to be more than what I remember. You could buy some round delrin stock and drill a hole, a bit larger than the gooseneck bolt, down the center. Then band saw off a thickness that would be just right to take the play out of your setup.

      When I bought my boat the reef tack was bent identically to yours. I got a replacement from Hall and it is MUCH beefier. Nearly double the thickness. It is also larger and I have always wondered if they accidentally gave me a J34c fitting, but I like having the extra strength. You could try calling Hall but I got mine 14 years ago so I am not so sure they would still have the parts.

      Kurt

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

      > Group:
      >
      > I need a new reef tack hook as I bent the current piece this year when
      > we fell off a wave while reefed. However, I am curious: the
      > gooseneck rides inside the tangs welded to the mast. I estimate there
      > is 1/2" play where the gooseneck can move up/down along the vertical
      > bolt. It seems to me that there should be bushings to prevent a lot
      > of vertical movement? What are your thoughts? Perhaps, next time you
      > are at the boats, you could look or take a couple of pictures of this
      > area!
      >
      > I will upload a picture to my album.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Jason