      From: Roy Briscoe <roysail@...>
      Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:42:36 +0000
      To: <j28sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?

      John, thanks for the info. I was wondering how close the tuning would be to the J30, I'm a little familar with that. We bought #29, Ruffian, which will be trucked down the coast to NH in a week or so. We briefly considered sailing it down, but it would probably take 3-4 days and I'd rather save my vacation time till the summer.

      Being a late entry to the group, why did you move the batteries forward? Was it for weight? I need to do some repair work in the battery area (basically rebuild the box) and was wondering if it would be worth moving them.

      Do you have an autohelm? Do you disconnect it for racing? Ruffian has an Autohlem 6000 with all the hardware is below decks. The wheel seems a bit sluggish for racing. The surveyor mentioned that we might want to just disconnect it by pulling the pin and it should be easy enough to reconnect for cruising or our annual single handed race.

      To: J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com
      From: jfws88@yahoo. com
      Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:30:49 +0000
      Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?

      Roy, I race my boat all summer and set the rig up almost to the tuning guides for the j30 the two rigs are very similar and it feels pretty good. I fly a used j30 spinaker.

      What hull # did you buy?

      John

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@... > wrote:

      > Thanks for the info. That's a good point.
      >

      > Do you know what a good starting point is for shroud tension? On the Colgate is was 500 lbs. I raced on a J30 a bit this summer it was around 1000 lbs and up.
      >

      > Roy
      >

      > To: J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com
      > From: misailor@...
      > Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:35:25 +0000
      > Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Racing Tips?
      >

      > Pat and Roy,
      >
      > The upper shrouds on a J/28 attach to the mast just above the fractional fore stay. A mast head spinnaker would likely put too much lateral load on the upper mast. Look at the shrouds on a boat set up with a full rig (J/35). The shrouds on these boats go to the top of the mast.
      >
      > Bruce
      >
      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogro ups.com, "roysail3" <roysail@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We are new to the group and have just about completed the process of moving from a Colgate 26 (7 years) to a J28. The boat will be located on the Maine side of the Maine/NH border in the Kittery/Portsmouth area. The reason for the upsizing? There are just a few more luxuries on the J28 than the Colgate.
      > >
      > > Are there any good sites or information around on how to setup the J28 for the racing in the local PHRF fleet?
      > >
      > > Has anyone outfitted their J28 with a masthead asymetrical?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Pat and Roy

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic