Re: Geno 2 mtdna

  • Laurie
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
      I was a bit surprised that mine came out just J [FTDNA]...I already had one done at 23 and Me and knew I had J2a1a1b results there.

      Of course if I spend more money they [FTDNA] can break it down more...  LOL

      The really amazing part for me...so few "matches" there....6?  And I think I have not found one here yet either?  Always wondered if my GG Grandmother was dropped off by aliens...since I can find no info on her parents....
    • cindi rasmussen
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
        Michael, my Mother's line is  J1c3- you have one more mutation than I.How about some information on Anna Dougherty (birth date, death date, place names where she lived)? I like working o puzzles.

        My mtdna results at familytree is simply J. My sister did the Geno 2 test and her mtdna result is J1c3d. Is there anyone else here with that result? Is there a way I can transfer my sisters mtdna result to my account at familytree? Our maternal side is a mystery past my g grandmother (Anna L. Dougherty).

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
          --- In J-mtDNA@yahoogroups.com, cindi rasmussen <cindiras@...> wrote:

          > Michael, my Mother's line is  J1c3- you have one more mutation than I.How about some information on Anna Dougherty (birth date, death date, place names where she lived)? I like working o puzzles.
          >

          > ________________________________

          Hi Cindy,
          Well, I thought I replied a while ago but I come back and look and nothing! I must have done something wrong... Anyway, here goes again. I don't have much on Anna L. Dougherty, there is a census record from 1910 [ https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/ML6V-B5J ]which shows my grandmother, Hope E. Blum 16 years old, her father (Norman C. Blum), mother (Anna L. Blum, 39), Norma Blum (14) and John Blum (6). I found a marriage record which shows Anna L. Dougherty a my g grandmother's maiden name. Also, my older half brother who died in 1999 had notes showing Anna L. Dougherty's father as John L. Dougherty, and mother Anna Miwick. All from Ohio. My brother also noted Anna Miwick lived to 108 or 109 years old. I have no idea where my brother got this information or how to verify it. I'm just beginning my genealogy searching, I haven't yet used any of the pay sites. I haven't retired yet so not working on it full time. It would be great fun to find a connection! Thanks for your help.
          -Mike
        • cindi rasmussen
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
            Okay! Let's work back thru the census.
            17 April 1930 Canton ward 5, Stark county Ohio Pearl Pl. S.W. 1418  # 383-352 Blum, Norman age 60 birthplace OH, father b. OH, mother b.Germany, Machinist. wife Hortense age 42 bp. France. Step daughter Louise Smith 16 OHio, Stepson Paul Haworth 13 OH. Stepdaughetr Ivy Haworth 11 OH
                 8 Jan 1920  Canton city prec.F, Stark county OH Fulton road 820.  #88-92 Blume, Anna L age 49 OH  father b OH, mother b. VA, Divorced. Son John P 16 OH
                 1910- the info you have from Familysearch.org- Canton ward 1, Stark county OH Norman C Blum age 40 OH, anna L 39 OH, Hope E 16 OH, Norma C 14 OH, John P 6 OH
                 18 June 1900 Alliance prect. ward4 Stark county OHSouth Midon street 705.   #503-565 Bloom, Torrence C (bad handwriting. I see it as Norman C ) b. Sep 1867 age 32 OH parents b. Ohio, Mechanic. wife Annie L b. Dec 1869 OH parents b. OH. married 11 years, 3children, 2 living.  Hope E. S. b. July 1893 OH,  Norma C b. Jan 1896 OH.
                 1880- not found
                 1870, 29 June  Palmer twp, Washington co. Ohio Luther Dougherty 21 PA farm laborer, Jemina 24 PA, Anna 8/12 OH
            I would like to find Anna in 1880 census to be sure I am tracking the right Dougherty.
            In 1860 census, Luther Dougherty is in Noble county Ohio, in 1850 census, he is in Washington county PA.  I really would like to find Anna in 1880, or see her marriage record to Norman Blum to be sure Dougherty is the right surname.

            > Michael, my Mother's line is  J1c3- you have one more mutation than I.How about some information on Anna Dougherty (birth date, death date, place names where she lived)? I like working o puzzles.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Michael Erickson
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
              Wow!  The 1870 record is completely new to me.  If it's accurate my gg grandmother's name was Jemina?  She would be my most remote ancestor on the maternal line, where the J1c3d came from.  I'd sure like to know her maiden name.  She was the one my brother said lived to 108 or 109.  If she was 24 in 1870 that would mean she died in the mid 50's.  She would have still been alive when my brother was old enough to have remembered her if they ever met.  Too bad I can't ask him.
              I think I have to sign up at Ancestry.com to look at these records.
              Thanks for the info.   I don't suppose you can see a possible link to your family tree?  My sister will be excited to find out some new things, she's off on an extended vacation, won't get back until Sept, then we can both explore this new stuff together.
              Thanks again.
              Mike

              Oh, I found this:

              Elyria Chronicle Telegram
              Monday June 30, 1930

              "Norman C. Blum of Canton, was drowned in Westville lake, near Salem, when he fell from a boat while fishing.  Efforts to
              rescue him were without avail."

              It doesn't look like he lasted much beyond the 1930 census.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
                Hold on Michael! I found a marriage record for Anna L Daugherty 21 Jan 1889 to Norman C. B. in Tuscarawas county Ohio. So this lead to searching 1880, 1870 and 1860 census records. Here goes!
                     4 June 1880  New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county OH  West High street.  #159-170  Daugherty, Georege W. age 65 b. OH, parents b. PA, Tailor. wife, Sarah age 50 b. OH parents b. OH.  Bertha C 20 OH teaching school. George G 16 OH, Anna L 13 OH. son Joy J 9 OH. Ralph L 6 OH.
                     20 June 1870  New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county OH   #393-404   Dougherty, George W. age 51 b.OH, Tailor. Sarah  J 43 OH. LauraW 15 OH. Bertha C 11 OH. George 6 OH. Anna 3 OH.
                     24 July 1860 Goshen township, Tuscarawas county OH  #1289-1301  Geo.Dougherty 45 OH Tailor. Sarah 30 OH. Mary 11 OH. Laura 5 OH. Guthrie 1 OH.
                     2 Aug 1850  New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county OH   #134-145   G W Daugherty  34  OH  Tailor. Aletice 19 OH. Emma 5 OH. Mary C 1 OH.
                     Which is the right Anna Dougherty?  the Anna whose age most closely matches that given in the 1900 census? Or the Anna living in the Same county as the Anna who married Norman C. B...? Do we check census records forward for Sarah Dougherty who may have lived to age 108? More searching is called for. You go check familysearch.org for death records in Ohio for George Washington Dougherty and Sarah. I will check ancestry.com for them.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
                  I found a George W. Daugherty on familysearch.org in the 1880 census with a daughter Anna L., looks like the right age.  Wife is Sarah J. Daugherty.   Five children, hopefully plenty of opportunities to get a dna hit on someone if they take do the test.  Assuming most of them had kids.  This is exciting.  I have to stop now and start up next weekend.
                  Thanks Cindy for your help!  I'm going to sign up with ancestry.com soon.
                  Here's the link:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M83S-83V

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
                    Umhuh. 1880 New Philadelphia Tuscarawas county OH. George 65 OH, parentsb.PA, Tailor. Sarah 50 OH, parents b.OH. Bertha C 20 OH teaching school. George G 16 OH. Anna L 13 OH. son Jay J 9 OH. Ralph L 6 OH.
                         20 June 1870 New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county OH.  #393-404Dougherty, George W 51 OH tailor. Sarah J 43 OH. Laura W 15 OH. Bertha D 11 OH. George 6 OH. Anna 3 OH.
                         24 July 1860 Goshen twp. Tuscarawas county OH. #1289-1801 Geo. Daugherty 45 OH. Sarah 30 OH. Marry 11 OH. Laura 5 OH. Guthrie 1 OH.
                         2 Aug 1850 New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county OH. #134-145  G.W. Daugherty 34 OH, Tailor. Aletice 19 OH. Emma 5 OH. Mary C. 1 OH.
                         1840 Sugar Creek Tuscarawas county OH. George Dougherty  1 male age 70 thru 79, i female age 60 thru 69.
                    Other Dougherty families in tuscarawas co OH in 1840 census:
                                              Males /5  thru 9   thru 14 thru 19 thru 29 thru 39  thru 49 //females /5  9  14  19  29  39  49  59  69
                    Jefferson twp John        0      0        0          0          0           0            1     //             2  2    0    0    0    1   0    0    0
                    Perry twp    John          2      2        0          0          1       (1 age 70-79)    //             0  0    0    0    1    1   0    0    0
                    W.Chester twp Mary    0      0        1          0          0           0            0      //            2  2    0    0    0    0   1     0    0
                         You are looking for a 24/25 year old George W. Dougherty. The only male in the right age group lives with John Dougherty in Perry township, Tuscarawas county OH.  At least, the only one it THIS county. You may wish to search thru Tuscarawas county OH records on rootsweb.com or usgen web.org.