The early Basque distribution of mitochondrial haplogroups

  • timo_penttilae
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2010
      There the mitochondrial J2 is mentioned, in a paper pablished a couple of years ago. The Basques used to have lots of J2 among them, but today it has come almost to a minimum. The mitochondrial J2 is quite evenly distributed in Western Europe. This paper further states: "A refined dissection of haplogroup J might provide more solid evidence about the process of postglacial recolonization of Europe, and thus about the shaping of the European gene pool."

      Alfonso-Sánchez MA et al.
      Am J Hum Biol. 2008 Jan 2
      "Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup diversity in Basques: A reassessment based on HVI and HVII polymorphisms."

    • cpred_06
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
        My grandmother's family on her maternal grandfather's side were from the Basque region os Spain and many were French and my mtdna halpogroup is J2.