3074Re: [J-mtDNA] J1c3a1

  • P. A. Miller
    Jan 2, 2014
      Flora,

      You don't really have to re-test. For $69 you can transfer your 23andme results to Family Tree (sorry, you just missed the $49 sale). Gives you another very large database with mainly genealogists who answer queries, the ability to compare all the segments, not just the large ones, direct email contact, etc. The differences in the results between the two companys' processing are not a problem.

      And for sure, upload your results to gedmatch.com!! It's free (but donations are appropriate, it's just two great guys who've created a fabulous tool on their own time). It is currently taking the full 6 weeks they describe to process and make all the tools available (they just had a huge data dump from the ancestry.com tests and are climbing their way through all that). You can generally do one-to-one comparisons within a few hours, you just some kit numbers to start with, mine are F143474, F225201, F311525, then play with some of my matches and spread out from there. While waiting for the full processing, you can explore and learn how all the tools there work, incredibly powerful comparison tools. It's made up of people who decide to use it, but it's amazing how many have uploaded from both 23andme and FamilyTree, people you might not show up as matching because of the company thresholds, but who you do match at the farther back generations.

      Along with waiting for a big break in matches at all the sites, you can still be finding many of the older lines you probably come from with all the tools available, mapping your chromosomes as you go. At some point there will be a wonderful convergence of some of those lines that will get you much closer to your quest for closer birth info.

      Good luck in your search!
      Pam in CA
      mt J2a1a1b

      On 2 Jan 2014, at 3:51 PM, flora lovejoy <floralovejoy@...> wrote:

      > Which familytreeDNA Do you suggest?
      >

      > Flora
      >

      > On Jan 2, 2014, at 4:48 PM, Bailey Francis <fran2537@...> wrote:
      >

      >> I use a fishing analogy for autosomal DNA testing. You bait your hook, put your line in the water, and wait for a strike. It may not be immediate, but you have to be patient and diligent in keeping up with new matches. More and more people are testing every day. Consider FamilyTreeDNA's Family Finder autosomal test, too. Fish in 2 ponds.
      >>
      >> Best of luck.
      >>
      >> Bailey

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic