40 Scholarships for Journalists to Change the World - Applications Due November 18, 2012

  • George Lessard
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2012
      40 Scholarships for Journalists to Change the World
      Applications for the April 2013 School of Authentic Journalism Are Due
      November 18, 2012
      By Al Giordano
      Founder, School of Authentic Journalism
      September 26, 2012
      The next School of Authentic Journalism, April 17 to 27, 2013, in Mexico,
      will mark ten years since we held the first one in 2003. More than 300
      journalists, independent media makers, community organizers and social
      movement leaders have passed through these doors since we began.
      This will be the sixth session of the school but it also might (or might
      not) be the last one for some time to come, for reasons I�ll explain before
      this invitation is done. My point is that if you have ever thought about
      attending but never got around to actually applying: don�t lose this
      opportunity. It might (or might not) be the last for a while.
      At the 2013 school we will hear from a leader of South Africa�s
      anti-apartheid boycott and general strike, a union organizer who
      strategized Bolivia�s �water war� that stopped the privatization of that
      resource, an organizer who helped � this year � stop the deportation of
      800,000 undocumented immigrants from the United States, a strategist who
      launched the global movement to end nuclear power, a writer and journalist
      who became a movement leader when her town was threatened by a nuclear
      waste dump, a young organizer whose creativity and humor helped topple his
      country of Serbia�s dictator, and two legendary theorists and organizers
      who worked alongside Martin Luther King to end racial segregation.
      This ten-day intensive program is for the following kinds of people:
      Journalists and communicators who report on and alongside social movements,
      community organizing and civil resistance campaigns, and also for those
      participants in those movements who write, blog, photograph, create and
      manage websites, make video, radio, graphic design or political cartoons
      about them. In previous schools we have accepted some applicants with
      little experience but whose raw talent and urgent desire to make change in
      their communities and in the world impressed us, and a good number of them
      have gone on to do great works. Some are even professors of the School of
      Authentic Journalism today.
      More information at
      http://narconews.com/Issue67/article4626.html