Re: Chalav U'dvash

  • drora@arussy.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 9:13 AM
      First, yashir kochech on the yozma. I think it is a wonderful idea. It would be wonderful to arrange meetings throughout the year, but this is a great start. Thank you.
      About Chalav U'dvash. First, I have to say that it was piloted in some of the day schools in NorthernNJ. It is a wonderful curriculum for what it does. It builds the language through building blocks. It is written for non-native speakers (those who do not have a parent who speaks Hebrew with them at home) in a class with a teacher who is fluent in Hebrew and to be conducted 4-5 times a week during circle time. What we have found is that the schools that meet these requirements are flourishing with the program.
      Other schools wanted more of an immersion as 1st grade is conducted almost exclusively in Hebrew, or they have more native speakers. For those schools we have created a loose total physical response option in which oral language acquisition is the focus and it can be differentiated to fit the needs of each student in each classroom. Our supplementary schools have been using TPR exclusively while the day schools are mixed in that some use Chalav U'dvash during circle time and tpr for classroom management and some prefer to focus on TPR. Those schools with non-fluent Hebrew teachers also find it much more convenient to work with TPR exclusively.
      I would love to hear what other schools are using. Thank you for starting the discussion.

      Drora Arussy, EdD
      Coordinator, Hebrew in America

      UJA Federation of Northern New Jersey
      50 Eisenhower Drive
      Paramus, New Jersey07652

      Direct Line: (201) 820 3919
      Main:  (201) 820 3900 x207

      Together we improve the quality of Jewish community
      life in northern New Jersey, Israel and around the world.

    • Jennie Starr
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3 10:04 AM
        Hi Drora,

        Mamash todah.  Very interested to learn more about the TPR - I suspect there are similarities to what we are doing here.  Are there any formal materials you are using as their base?  (any specific published material or even sets of materials you use as tools?)  Or is it completely organic and made at home (i.e. written in house.)

        My main question is how to build a conversational program with a progression that ensures advancement.  For those kids who have continued over time;  how to make sure they aren't just in a reinforcement mode; but in an advancement mode. That's what I liked at first about Chalav U'dvash. I knew it had building blocks that could take us from one point to and end point.  Then I would pick up something new. The reality though is that our kids are beyond it now, and we also havn't had enough demand to have a whole group of continuing students who could progress with it.  Too many new kids joining in each semester and others leaving.  I'm struggling to try and find something else....

        I know part of the answer here lies in leveling the kids.  (We mix more experienced with less on purpose in part due to enrollment challenges and in part to give non-hebrew speakers access/experience with native speakers...and in part to give the native speakers who comprehend but lack confidence to speak the opportuntiy to feel confident.)  But, I'm not sure I'll ever have sufficient enrollment to do that at each age group in one location.  (We have multiple locations)

        In our reading/writing program we have managed to adopt a set of materials (yesh li sod) that we like a lot. Its a small, digestable series that works well with our kids. They finish, feel good, gain confidence...but we can take them to the end of the series.  And then pick a new one for 2nd and 3rd graders.  I feel more confident about this.

        I'd feel better with something more concrete for conversational I think too.

        Jen