Re: Italian Tailors Book?

  • fiorabug
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16 9:43 AM
      Hello!
      The actual title of the book is "Il Libro Del Sarto", and it's
      edited by Alessandra Molfino, no author is specified. Interlibrary
      loan is still your best bet. I've been looking to buy a copy of this
      for at least 5 years, everytime I find a copy, it's already been
      sold. But my search continues, and if I ever hit paydirt, I'll be
      more than happy to share. Hope this helps!

      -Katie

      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, nikki
      <nmlowrey@k...> wrote:
      > Has anyone seen a copy of the The Milanese Tailor's handbook
      (reported as a
      > color facimile of a 1570 tailor's book in Drea's Costume Library)
      >
      > I've also heard it called the Tailor's Book by Mottola Molfino
      Alessandra.
      > I heard it has info on period tents as well as costume.
      >
      > I've tried to get my county library to get if for me via
      interlibrary loan,
      > but they can't find it. I might have the title wrong. It is
      definitely out
      > of print, and I think that it's not available in English, but I
      REALLY want
      > to see it. It's a period source.
      >
      > What is it really called? IS there any library that has it? Can I
      buy a
      > copy?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Bianca
    • Laurie Hupman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16 11:41 AM
        <delurking>

        Hello Bianca --

        Here's the library information from the University of
        California's website; it should help your library
        track a copy down.

        Title: Il Libro del Sarto della Fondazione Querini
        Stampalia di Venezia / saggi di Fritz Saxl ... [et
        al.].
        Publisher: Modena : Panini, [1987]
        (chiefly col.) ; 30 cm.
        Series: Istituto di studi rinascimentali Ferrara.
        Testi
        Notes: Includes bibliographies.
        ISBN: 8876860983
        Language: Italian
        Subjects: Costume--Italy--History--16th century
        Design--Italy
        Drawing, Italian--16th century
        Manuscripts, Italian
        Other entries: Saxl, Fritz, 1890-1948
        Fondazione scientifica Querini Stampalia
        Holdings: Library Call Number Other Information
        UCD Shields GT964.L53 1987 (circ status)
        UCLA Arts * GT964 .F66 1987 Belt Library ARTBELT-*
        UCSB Main Lib GT964 .L52 1987 Special Coll (circ
        status)

        The English version is even harder to find, but it
        does _occasionally_ show up on used book searches.
        Look for "A Tailor's Book," or do an author search on
        Fritz Saxl.

        I've got a copy of the English version if there's
        something specific you're looking for, but it doesn't
        leave my house unless it's handcuffed to my wrist. On
        the other hand, if you're likely to be in Santa Cruz,
        CA, you're welcome to come over and look at it.

        Rose

        <relurking>

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Karen K. Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16 4:23 PM

          > > Has anyone seen a copy of the The Milanese Tailor's handbook
          >(reported as a
          > > color facimile of a 1570 tailor's book in Drea's Costume Library)
          > >
          > > I've also heard it called the Tailor's Book by Mottola Molfino
          >Alessandra.
          > > I heard it has info on period tents as well as costume.
          How about this one? I've been meaning to get a copy of this myself.

          http://www.quitespecificmedia.com/costume_and_fashion/tailorpatternbook.html

          "TAILOR'S PATTERN BOOK 1589
          Juan de Alcega
          Translation by Jean Pain & Cecilia Bainton
          Introduction & notes by J. L. Nevinson
          This rare collection of 135 tailoring patterns was originally published in
          Madrid in 1589 as Libro de Geometria, Practica y Traca during the reigns of
          Philip II and Elizabeth I of England, when Spanish fashions dominated
          European dress. It covers 23 categories of graments: for men and women, the
          clergy, knights, for tournaments, and others.
          This information is unique since Juan de Alcega, master tailor, was the
          first to publish the secrets of the tailor's trade. The Spanish original is
          reproduced from the copy in the Victoria & Albert Museum.
          135 patterns, 256 pp., 8 x 11, quality paper, 0-89676-234-3,
          $40.00
          Costume & Fashion Press"

          ~Ginevra

        • nikki
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18 9:09 AM
            Thanks for all the responses about the Milanese tailors book. Now that I
            have the right info, maybe I'll find it.

            Bianca