Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Headgear opinions

  • Jennifer Thies
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1 7:25 AM
      Here is a link for those Frescos by Cossa that show some middle class
      cuffie: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/cossa/schifano/index.html
      You can some variety on the weavers and spinners in the Triumph of
      Minerva (March). You can also see the back of an open one in the upper
      left hand corner of the Triumph of Venus (April). And the lady driving
      Apollo's cart in his fresco (May) is wearing one as well.

      Is this what you were looking for?

      Genevieve

    • jessica@summertreemosaics.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1 7:37 AM

        > There is a picture of a child wearing a cuffia in
        > the Herald book, in
        > the glossary. It looks closed in back to me from its
        > general shape,
        > though you can't see the back of the child's head in
        > the portrait.
        > Also, I think there are some shots of ladies wearing
        > cuffia (s?) in
        > the "Triumph of May" fresco, I *think*... they look
        > closed there too.
        >
        > Vangelista

        Thanks Vangelista! Fortunately, I found my copy of Herald the
        other day - I went box-diving in the basement for a couple of
        hours. And there was much rejoicing (hurray...)! You are
        right, the cuffia on the boy in the Crivelli painting does
        look closed in the back, as do the ones on the ladies in the
        del Cossa frescoes. Always good to have a few more examples...
        I'm looking through my great big fresco books for more.

        Ciao!
        --Giuliana