Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Headgear opinions

  • ivinian
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, <jessica@s...>
      wrote:

      > > Buona sera Guiliana!
      > >
      > > I also checked Dressing Renaissance Florence, and
      > > she talks about them on p.
      > > 46-48, with your pic on 47, in B & W. It looks
      > > closed in the back...
      > >
      > > Arrivederci!
      > >
      > > Apollonia
      >
      > Grazie molto! That was just the citation I needed! (I don't
      > know why I didn't think of looking in there.) Frick actually
      > says on pg 48 that cuffie became much heavier and fancier and
      > "completely covered the hair." I'll keep looking for more
      > evidence, though.
      >
      > I wish I could find my copy of Jacqueline Herald. It's in a
      > box in the basement somewhere. Sigh. I think I may have to go
      > excavating tomorrow.
      >
      > Ciao!
      > --Giuliana

      There is a picture of a child wearing a cuffia in the Herald book, in
      the glossary. It looks closed in back to me from its general shape,
      though you can't see the back of the child's head in the portrait.
      Also, I think there are some shots of ladies wearing cuffia (s?) in
      the "Triumph of May" fresco, I *think*... they look closed there too.

      Vangelista
    • Jennifer Thies
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2003
        Here is a link for those Frescos by Cossa that show some middle class
        cuffie: http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/cossa/schifano/index.html
        You can some variety on the weavers and spinners in the Triumph of
        Minerva (March). You can also see the back of an open one in the upper
        left hand corner of the Triumph of Venus (April). And the lady driving
        Apollo's cart in his fresco (May) is wearing one as well.

        Is this what you were looking for?

        Genevieve

      • jessica@summertreemosaics.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2003

          > There is a picture of a child wearing a cuffia in
          > the Herald book, in
          > the glossary. It looks closed in back to me from its
          > general shape,
          > though you can't see the back of the child's head in
          > the portrait.
          > Also, I think there are some shots of ladies wearing
          > cuffia (s?) in
          > the "Triumph of May" fresco, I *think*... they look
          > closed there too.
          >
          > Vangelista

          Thanks Vangelista! Fortunately, I found my copy of Herald the
          other day - I went box-diving in the basement for a couple of
          hours. And there was much rejoicing (hurray...)! You are
          right, the cuffia on the boy in the Crivelli painting does
          look closed in the back, as do the ones on the ladies in the
          del Cossa frescoes. Always good to have a few more examples...
          I'm looking through my great big fresco books for more.

          Ciao!
          --Giuliana