Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Digest Number 196-Bodice straps/draping

  • Denise Robello
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 15 8:52 AM
      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Denise
      Robello" <drobello@n...> wrote:
      > I work alone most of the time, so a lot of the techniques I've
      > developed would go faster if you have someone to help you.

      I should add that after I've worked all this stuff out on my own, my
      back, shoulder and neck muscles get really tense. I don't know if
      this sort of thing matters to others, but in my experience tensing up
      during a fitting has a big impact on how my bodices fit. If I go
      straight from mock-up to "cutting da' fabric" at this point, I
      usually end up with a dress that fits great when I'm flexing my
      shoulders or rolling them forward, but not so well when I'm relaxed.
      Of course, I get a genuine "almost off the shoulder look" since
      that's what the garment is trying to do, but I don't like to have to
      fuss with my clothes once they're on. I want them to sit the way I
      expect them to sit and not have independent agendas. To prevent this,
      I've learned to set aside the project for a day and then come back to
      it to see how it fits. When I come back to it, if it still fits
      right, then I start cutting. Otherwise I usually end up adjusting the
      top of the shoulders a little bit to get a better fit.

      Ascelin
    • Giana Visconti
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17 2:56 PM
        Greetings!

        I am finally going to be able to make myself a cloak.
        Hurray! No more freezing at events when the sun goes
        down. I am picking up the wool tonight. What I'm
        trying to decide is whether or not to put a hood on
        the cloak. I am not finding much information anywhere
        on what would have been the appropriate style in
        period. My persona is late period Florentine with
        strong Venetian connections. Any information or input
        anyone has would be wonderful. Thank you!

        Giana Visconti

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albiz
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17 5:27 PM
          I haven't seen anything with a hooded cloak pic. AFAIK, they don't have
          attached hoods. But I know Aoda had a bunch of cloak pics... Try her new
          website, http://www.florentine-persona.com

          Apollonia

          Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi
          Kingdom of Atlantia
          www.livejournal.com/users/apollonia

          **La vita senz'onore e un viver morto.**
          I am finally going to be able to make myself a cloak.
          Hurray! No more freezing at events when the sun goes
          down. I am picking up the wool tonight. What I'm
          trying to decide is whether or not to put a hood on
          the cloak. I am not finding much information anywhere
          on what would have been the appropriate style in
          period. My persona is late period Florentine with
          strong Venetian connections. Any information or input
          anyone has would be wonderful. Thank you!

          Giana Visconti

          http://search.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • ivinian
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17 8:40 PM
            --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Giana Visconti
            <giana1008@y...> wrote:
            > Greetings!
            >
            > I am finally going to be able to make myself a cloak.
            > Hurray! No more freezing at events when the sun goes
            > down. I am picking up the wool tonight. What I'm
            > trying to decide is whether or not to put a hood on
            > the cloak. I am not finding much information anywhere
            > on what would have been the appropriate style in
            > period. My persona is late period Florentine with
            > strong Venetian connections. Any information or input
            > anyone has would be wonderful. Thank you!
            >
            > Giana Visconti

            One of the pictures I have at my site does have some men wearing what
            I strongly suspect are hooded cloaks (check here --
            http://www.florentine-persona.com/menflorence2.html ). Overall,
            though, I don't see many hoods either. (The Great Cloak Project can
            now begin again, now that all the winter messiness is over, and I
            have lots more pics to put up.) I think that the headgear worn might
            have discouraged hoods (particularly the Medici-style rollbrim hats).
            Refined ladies were said to wear "mantellos" that covered them from
            stem to stern when they went out in public, though, and I'm sure they
            had some form of hood on them. Otherwise they'd be big blanket-
            looking things, and that kind of sloppiness doesn't fit my idea of
            Florentine garb.

            Vangelista
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 18 8:12 PM
              <apollonia@...> wrote:
              > I haven't seen anything with a hooded cloak pic.
              > AFAIK, they don't have
              > attached hoods. But I know Aoda had a bunch of
              > cloak pics... Try her new
              > website, http://www.florentine-persona.com
              >
              > Apollonia

              Thank you! What a great site.

              Giana

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Giana Visconti
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 18 8:21 PM
                --- ivinian <ivinian@...> wrote:
                >Overall,
                > though, I don't see many hoods either. (The Great
                > Cloak Project can
                > now begin again, now that all the winter messiness
                > is over, and I
                > have lots more pics to put up.) I think that the
                > headgear worn might
                > have discouraged hoods (particularly the
                > Medici-style rollbrim hats).

                Thank you. From looking at your site, and the
                hoodless. :) Now that that's settled, all I have to
                do is decide on lining fabric and trim! I sense a
                trip to the fabric store coming on. . . Thanks again!

                Giana

                http://search.yahoo.com
              • Gerita
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 19 1:51 PM