Re: Magnificenza!

  • Denise Robello
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "ailith"
      <ailith@n...> wrote:
      > The bodice in the portrait is burgundy brocade which matches the
      > color of the lower sleeves. The upper sleeves and the skirt are
      definitely
      > plain black. There's no hint of a pattern of any kind. The skirt
      does have 3
      > horizontal tucks that begin about 2" below where the skirt attaches
      to the
      > bodice, spaced at approximately 1/2" to 3/4" apart.
      >
      > Has anyone else ever seen any portrait like this from this
      time/place???

      I have a coffee table book on the Uffizi and Pitti. In that book the
      color of the forearm sleeve and bodice is deep eggplant.

      Are you looking for more copies of the same picture or more portraits
      from the same time and place?

      Ascelin
    • nikki
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
        Thank you Ailith, for the color clarification on the Laura Battiferri
        painting by Bronzino! Like you, I've wondered what the true colors were.
        BTW, in my photo in the Bronzino book (Charles McCorquodale), there is a
        triangle of bright red right under her right elbow. Did you notice this in
        the original? What is it?

        (note: the on-line photo that you referenced has cropped this portrait on
        both sides and the bottom, so the red triangle is not shown).

        Is the exhibit that you saw "Magnificenza! The Medici, Michelangelo and the
        Art of Late Renaissance Florence" traveling, or is it just in Detroit? I
        would love to see it if it comes to the south.

        Did you see the exhibit book, Ailith? Is it worth buying for a costumer?

        Bianca