Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Balzo

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2013
      I prefer English Elizabethan/Tudor but want ti make an Italian Renaissance/Venetian period. I have a nobility Elizabethan set and a merchant's wife upper middle class set already. I made a very wonderful blackwork chemise of light weight linen with Tudor rises on the sleeves. I made a velvet ladies' hat with pleated sides but don't know what else to wear with my sets. I have been shedding hair a lot over the past few years and keeping it to make a woven hair/braid to wear on my thinning hairline. Not as fancy but practical.
      I have lost weight and need to take them in. I am working on loosing some more before that task. I plan on weaving trim for my next set and one for my daughter. I will wait to do those jobs after we move in June.
      I drew the cover for Margo Anderson's Tudor pattern so I love to design what to make as well as actual garments. I have a large library of images from the internet and a book of what I would like to make.

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
        For Italian, specifically Venice, The Realm of Venus is the site to go to.
        http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/

        (Oonagh's site is the second I recommend.)

        "wardrobe" on RoV is where you will find portraits of several time periods.

        It sounds as if you are wanting around 1540 and onward
        http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/artgallery3.htm
        (but if you want earlier then click on wardrobe and then select the period you what.).

        Some of the later styles, if you have Margo's Elizabethan noble woman's pattern you can adapt it. I have heard at least one woman adapting it to the very popular "V" front Venetian gown. I think that it is popular because just about any figure looks good in it. :)
        Hope this helps.
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
          I do have her set of lady's wardrobe and the Tudor set. I am placing a pre-order for her upcoming Italian sets. I can adapt the pattern to fit what I want but right now just researching.
          I definitely love the Realm if Venus site. I love a red one with cut lacy sleeves Venetian gown. Lots of photos saved from there!
          My daughter loved the Princess Elizabeth portrait. I made her a complete set to wear to Ren Faire outside of Harrisburg, PA but it rained the weekend she was to be Honorary Princess fin the weekend. Still have the velvet oversleeves. I found 8m of the exact fabric in the portrait on ebay! Cut the fabric only enough for the forepart and sleeves. I store it in archival paper in its own box like a treasure. Ready to use one day.
          Right now I am in packing mode so I am sorting and inventorying what I have more than crafting. I still hope to make new things one day soon.

          Sent from my iPhone