Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] hair

  • hellmonkey@pcisys.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
      Please give me that hairpin info! Thanks for the other info as well. My hair is long (to my waist)but the pins would really help!

      Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@...> wrote :

      > Heh, I always parse her dress as pink. I'm in the middle of making a copy of it.
      >
      > And yep, that's hair taping. I think the way to do it is to put
      > ribbon in a darning needle and "sew" the ribbon around the layers of
      > the bun after having the bun in.
      >
      > If you want to get cinnamon bun like that, where the rings are
      > progressively larger (as opposed to same-size-rings stacking outward
      > like http://www.flickr.com/photos/maco_nix/4770673360/ ), you need to
      > use lots of pins and have pretty long hair. I use 3" stainless steel
      > hairpins of the old-fashioned variety (not weak bobby pins), made by
      > an Amish man. (Are we allowed to post links to online shops here? If
      > so, I can give you my source.)
      >
      > The trick to avoid it stacking up is to put pins in on every
      > go-around. So I start twisting and I immediately put a pin on each
      > side to keep the center bit from popping out away from my head. Then I
      > go around a second time, one pin on each side. Then the third time
      > around, this time a pin on each side plus top and bottom, to secure
      > the ends. I say "pretty long hair" because 3 go-arounds is all I get,
      > and my hair is long enough to sit on.
      >
      > Grazia

      ___________________________________
      Sent using PCI Broadband webmail
    • Mackenzie Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
        These are the hairpins I use:
        http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=27

        I've only used the straight version, not the crinkly ones.

        Grazia

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
          I am happy to announce that the latest Italian Showcase is now online!

          Wearing a gorgeous Florentine black and silver outfit in the style of the 1560s is Trystan L. Bass, from California USA.

          Enjoy. :)

          http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/showcase.htm%c2%a0