Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] hair

  • Mackenzie Morgan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
      Heh, I always parse her dress as pink. I'm in the middle of making a copy of it.

      And yep, that's hair taping. I think the way to do it is to put
      ribbon in a darning needle and "sew" the ribbon around the layers of
      the bun after having the bun in.

      If you want to get cinnamon bun like that, where the rings are
      progressively larger (as opposed to same-size-rings stacking outward
      like http://www.flickr.com/photos/maco_nix/4770673360/ ), you need to
      use lots of pins and have pretty long hair. I use 3" stainless steel
      hairpins of the old-fashioned variety (not weak bobby pins), made by
      an Amish man. (Are we allowed to post links to online shops here? If
      so, I can give you my source.)

      The trick to avoid it stacking up is to put pins in on every
      go-around. So I start twisting and I immediately put a pin on each
      side to keep the center bit from popping out away from my head. Then I
      go around a second time, one pin on each side. Then the third time
      around, this time a pin on each side plus top and bottom, to secure
      the ends. I say "pretty long hair" because 3 go-arounds is all I get,
      and my hair is long enough to sit on.

      Grazia
    • hellmonkey@pcisys.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
        Please give me that hairpin info! Thanks for the other info as well. My hair is long (to my waist)but the pins would really help!

        Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@...> wrote :

        > Heh, I always parse her dress as pink. I'm in the middle of making a copy of it.
        >
        > And yep, that's hair taping. I think the way to do it is to put
        > ribbon in a darning needle and "sew" the ribbon around the layers of
        > the bun after having the bun in.
        >
        > If you want to get cinnamon bun like that, where the rings are
        > progressively larger (as opposed to same-size-rings stacking outward
        > like http://www.flickr.com/photos/maco_nix/4770673360/ ), you need to
        > use lots of pins and have pretty long hair. I use 3" stainless steel
        > hairpins of the old-fashioned variety (not weak bobby pins), made by
        > an Amish man. (Are we allowed to post links to online shops here? If
        > so, I can give you my source.)
        >
        > The trick to avoid it stacking up is to put pins in on every
        > go-around. So I start twisting and I immediately put a pin on each
        > side to keep the center bit from popping out away from my head. Then I
        > go around a second time, one pin on each side. Then the third time
        > around, this time a pin on each side plus top and bottom, to secure
        > the ends. I say "pretty long hair" because 3 go-arounds is all I get,
        > and my hair is long enough to sit on.
        >
        > Grazia

        ___________________________________
        Sent using PCI Broadband webmail
      • Mackenzie Morgan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
          These are the hairpins I use:
          http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=27

          I've only used the straight version, not the crinkly ones.

          Grazia

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
            I am happy to announce that the latest Italian Showcase is now online!

            Wearing a gorgeous Florentine black and silver outfit in the style of the 1560s is Trystan L. Bass, from California USA.

            Enjoy. :)

            http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/showcase.htm%c2%a0