hair

  • Deborah Wormsbacher
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
      Good morning to you all! I need some help on hair stuff so I thought I would ask advice from the group. IN the Vencenzo Campi painting entitled "Kitchen" do the women have ribbons braided into their hair? (I'm thinking the woman in orange specifically). Any advice on the amazing braids/buns? Thanks!
      Deb in Colorado

    • Mackenzie Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
        Heh, I always parse her dress as pink. I'm in the middle of making a copy of it.

        And yep, that's hair taping. I think the way to do it is to put
        ribbon in a darning needle and "sew" the ribbon around the layers of
        the bun after having the bun in.

        If you want to get cinnamon bun like that, where the rings are
        progressively larger (as opposed to same-size-rings stacking outward
        like http://www.flickr.com/photos/maco_nix/4770673360/ ), you need to
        use lots of pins and have pretty long hair. I use 3" stainless steel
        hairpins of the old-fashioned variety (not weak bobby pins), made by
        an Amish man. (Are we allowed to post links to online shops here? If
        so, I can give you my source.)

        The trick to avoid it stacking up is to put pins in on every
        go-around. So I start twisting and I immediately put a pin on each
        side to keep the center bit from popping out away from my head. Then I
        go around a second time, one pin on each side. Then the third time
        around, this time a pin on each side plus top and bottom, to secure
        the ends. I say "pretty long hair" because 3 go-arounds is all I get,
        and my hair is long enough to sit on.

        Grazia
      • hellmonkey@pcisys.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
          Please give me that hairpin info! Thanks for the other info as well. My hair is long (to my waist)but the pins would really help!

          Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@...> wrote :

          > Heh, I always parse her dress as pink. I'm in the middle of making a copy of it.
          >
          > And yep, that's hair taping. I think the way to do it is to put
          > ribbon in a darning needle and "sew" the ribbon around the layers of
          > the bun after having the bun in.
          >
          > If you want to get cinnamon bun like that, where the rings are
          > progressively larger (as opposed to same-size-rings stacking outward
          > like http://www.flickr.com/photos/maco_nix/4770673360/ ), you need to
          > use lots of pins and have pretty long hair. I use 3" stainless steel
          > hairpins of the old-fashioned variety (not weak bobby pins), made by
          > an Amish man. (Are we allowed to post links to online shops here? If
          > so, I can give you my source.)
          >
          > The trick to avoid it stacking up is to put pins in on every
          > go-around. So I start twisting and I immediately put a pin on each
          > side to keep the center bit from popping out away from my head. Then I
          > go around a second time, one pin on each side. Then the third time
          > around, this time a pin on each side plus top and bottom, to secure
          > the ends. I say "pretty long hair" because 3 go-arounds is all I get,
          > and my hair is long enough to sit on.
          >
          > Grazia

          ___________________________________
          Sent using PCI Broadband webmail
        • Mackenzie Morgan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
            These are the hairpins I use:
            http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=27

            I've only used the straight version, not the crinkly ones.

            Grazia

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
              I am happy to announce that the latest Italian Showcase is now online!

              Wearing a gorgeous Florentine black and silver outfit in the style of the 1560s is Trystan L. Bass, from California USA.

              Enjoy. :)

              http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/showcase.htm%c2%a0