Re: knocking, knocking

  • n2kye
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Isabella D'Angelo" <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

      > As a computer professional, I would urge everyone to get the heck off of Facebook. Everything you do on facebook you can do via email - and email is far safer and actually is private.

      I'm largely in agreement about Facebook. It's not the lack of privacy per se (_nothing_ online is any semblance of *private*, if you really look at it -- except MAYBE something done encrypted by at least two independent methods and then sent along a VPN from known server to known server to some place behind a firewall... but then one could argue whether or not that is technically *online*...), but rather Facebook's constantly changing policies and its belief that it can help itself to any individual's personal intellectual property.

      Most of us send our point-to-point e-mail unencrypted, but there's so much of it that there is usually little gain for someone to try sniffing out an average individual's personal messages. In short, it is NOT private, but an e-mail message is less likely than a Facebook post to be read by someone for whom it was not intended.

      Yahoo Groups are semi-open mailing lists. While the group's messages may be set to "members only", without restrictions on membership, they are effectively open to anyone who cares to look.

      That said, I accept the loss of privacy on mailing lists as acceptable for the gains of information and friendship. I do not consider Facebook an acceptable risk.

      > I haven't really been working on anything Italian Renn related lately. The few projects I do have lined up are things I'll post to my blogger account or over on the Renn Fest boards.

      I've ended up concentrating more on Elizabethan England, as I'm involved in ren faires and not in the SCA. That said, money, transportation, and scheduling have kept me away from faire these past two seasons.

      > I think the reason that the list is dead is the lack of new members. Without new people to ask questions, most of us are so stuck in our ways of doing things (I can whip out a basic turn of the 16th C Venetian styled dress in about 2 hours on the sewing machine from cut to finish.) that we don't think to ask about alternatives to our own methods.

      To some degree, more-veteran costumers have decided that they have gone as far as they can (or are willing to) in research, or have determined that time concerns force them to draw a line between "historically accurate" (hand-sewn, period fibers and fabrics, etc.) and "acceptable for my activities" (machine sewn, purchased trim, synthetic fibers, etc.)

      Much of which drew us to these lists at their start was an atmosphere of research (very few extant garments, portraiture, written records), and those who had access to primary evidence sharing their findings with those of us who didn't.

      Just as the 1980's and 1990's were the era of Winters and Savoy, "goblet test" bodices, and such, the early 2000's were the era in which Drea Leed, Jen Thompson, Sarah Goodman, Melissa Heischberg, and so on did most of their 16th-century research. Many of them have since broadened to other periods.

      I've GAFIAted a bit, so other than Bella noting she's mostly migrated to Facebook, I'm not sure what and where others of that period's Italian (primarily Venetian) experimental archaeologists (such as Oonagh ONeill and Chiara) are doing.

      Brenda
    • Maryelizabeth Hancock
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
        Lady Antonia,

        I wish you well after the earthquake and congrats on the weight loss. The sleeves in this painting are lovely! (I do have some blue velvet that, although meant for a different gown, would do well with this style...hmmmmm

        Have a great week and thank you for the inspiration!

        Apollonia

        Maryelizabeth Hancock

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
          Ciao donne,

          the sleeves on that gown would look amazing done in a ribbon or embroidered
          or beaded trim...

          Elena Della Luna
          mka Sharon

          On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Maryelizabeth Hancock
          <peterbenma@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Lady Antonia,
          >
          > I wish you well after the earthquake and congrats on the weight loss. The
          > sleeves in this painting are lovely! (I do have some blue velvet that,
          > although meant for a different gown, would do well with this style...hmmmmm
          >
          > Have a great week and thank you for the inspiration!
          >
          > Apollonia
          >

          > Maryelizabeth Hancock
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Jackie Frederick
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 6, 2012
            A similar dress, not just sleeves, can be seen in the group photo section
            under webdress. I have long desired this dress. Aaaaah! More inspiration!

            OHMYGOSH! I need to be three people, 1 to go to work and pay the bills; 1
            to make all these wonderful clothes that inspire me and 1 to have fun. WAIT!
            This is fun so only 2.

            Elspeth Bouchannane
          • Cilean_69
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
              I have not seen Snarky comments, but as people have said? Call them on it, I know I have spoken to some who are designing for a grade in school and wanted us to do the work they needed to learn on how to do research so I showed them how to find the research they needed. So I hope people here are not Snarky but perhaps people can be blunt? In their assessment, I remember back in the Am I Period or Not? time and people were horrid to each other, because it was anonymous. I hope this site or any I visit will not become like that, not that I did not adore APON, because I did.