Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: knocking, knocking

  • Jackie Frederick
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2012
      Very kewl. I love that dress. Good on ya, girl. Keep up the good work. Is
      this your wedding?

      Elspeth Bouchannane
    • Ylaire Sainte Claire
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2012
        Yes. It is. I am super excited.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 2, 2012, at 9:28, "Jackie Frederick" <edenwild@...> wrote:

        > Very kewl. I love that dress. Good on ya, girl. Keep up the good work. Is
        > this your wedding?
        >
        > Elspeth Bouchannane

      • Jackie Frederick
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2012
          Congratulations! I did the Eleanora of Toledo dress (the one with her and
          her son) for my wedding. I think I did pretty good as I have worn it since
          and had people say" Hey that's the Eleanora of Toledo". Good for the heart
          and soul. Keep up the good work.

          Elspeth Bouchannane
        • Deborah Wormsbacher
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2012
            I rarely post questions but I LOVE to see what others are doing and asking! Usually if I have a question or dilemma, I look at old threads and contact the people directly. I guess I am lucky - everyone whom I have contacted has been helpful and encouraging. I am not SCA - that's where I got the nastiest treatment. I am getting ready to make some sleeves for my common woman's dress and they are so simple and easy compared to the sleeves of well-to-do women. My dress is in darkish blue linen and the sleeves are going to be in a rusty - reddish colour. A friend gave me some light green silk and I made the shoulder ribbons out of it. I help with costuming a Christmas Madrigal/ 12th Night dinner at a castle in the town where I live. I have been lucky enough to work with a costume designer who will listen to the historical info and the costumes have gotten so much better. Instead of poorly done English, we have some lovely German and Italian inspired gowns in the mix.
            deb in Colorado

          • Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 3, 2012
              On 1/11/2012 2:42 a.m., elspeth205 wrote:
              > Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?

              I ain't dead.

              However, I've been through a major earthquake, dropped fifteen pounds,
              and am slowly digging my way out from under the resultant alterations
              mound.

              On the up side, I spotted this
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia2/beccaruzzi1530svicenzajpaulgettyusa.jpg
              and I have lovely deep-red woollen stuff for the gown and
              chartreuse-coloured taffeta for the sleeves. I think I may make it a
              narrow open-front, though, as I really do have enough clothes I can't
              put on without help.

              --
              Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
              -------------------------------------
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 4, 2012
                Oooooh! Aaaaaah! Love those sleeves. Is there a colour pic about?

                See why I love you guys?! You are such a great inspiration.

                Elspeth Bouchannane

                > On 1/11/2012 2:42 a.m., elspeth205 wrote:
                >> Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the
                >> other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?
                >>

                > I ain't dead.
                >
                > However, I've been through a major earthquake, dropped fifteen pounds,
                > and am slowly digging my way out from under the resultant alterations
                > mound.
                >
                > On the up side, I spotted this
                > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia2/beccaruzzi1530svicenzajpaulgettyusa.jpg
                > and I have lovely deep-red woollen stuff for the gown and
                > chartreuse-coloured taffeta for the sleeves. I think I may make it a
                > narrow open-front, though, as I really do have enough clothes I can't
                > put on without help.
                >

                > --
                > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

              • n2kye
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                  --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Isabella D'Angelo" <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

                  > As a computer professional, I would urge everyone to get the heck off of Facebook. Everything you do on facebook you can do via email - and email is far safer and actually is private.

                  I'm largely in agreement about Facebook. It's not the lack of privacy per se (_nothing_ online is any semblance of *private*, if you really look at it -- except MAYBE something done encrypted by at least two independent methods and then sent along a VPN from known server to known server to some place behind a firewall... but then one could argue whether or not that is technically *online*...), but rather Facebook's constantly changing policies and its belief that it can help itself to any individual's personal intellectual property.

                  Most of us send our point-to-point e-mail unencrypted, but there's so much of it that there is usually little gain for someone to try sniffing out an average individual's personal messages. In short, it is NOT private, but an e-mail message is less likely than a Facebook post to be read by someone for whom it was not intended.

                  Yahoo Groups are semi-open mailing lists. While the group's messages may be set to "members only", without restrictions on membership, they are effectively open to anyone who cares to look.

                  That said, I accept the loss of privacy on mailing lists as acceptable for the gains of information and friendship. I do not consider Facebook an acceptable risk.

                  > I haven't really been working on anything Italian Renn related lately. The few projects I do have lined up are things I'll post to my blogger account or over on the Renn Fest boards.

                  I've ended up concentrating more on Elizabethan England, as I'm involved in ren faires and not in the SCA. That said, money, transportation, and scheduling have kept me away from faire these past two seasons.

                  > I think the reason that the list is dead is the lack of new members. Without new people to ask questions, most of us are so stuck in our ways of doing things (I can whip out a basic turn of the 16th C Venetian styled dress in about 2 hours on the sewing machine from cut to finish.) that we don't think to ask about alternatives to our own methods.

                  To some degree, more-veteran costumers have decided that they have gone as far as they can (or are willing to) in research, or have determined that time concerns force them to draw a line between "historically accurate" (hand-sewn, period fibers and fabrics, etc.) and "acceptable for my activities" (machine sewn, purchased trim, synthetic fibers, etc.)

                  Much of which drew us to these lists at their start was an atmosphere of research (very few extant garments, portraiture, written records), and those who had access to primary evidence sharing their findings with those of us who didn't.

                  Just as the 1980's and 1990's were the era of Winters and Savoy, "goblet test" bodices, and such, the early 2000's were the era in which Drea Leed, Jen Thompson, Sarah Goodman, Melissa Heischberg, and so on did most of their 16th-century research. Many of them have since broadened to other periods.

                  I've GAFIAted a bit, so other than Bella noting she's mostly migrated to Facebook, I'm not sure what and where others of that period's Italian (primarily Venetian) experimental archaeologists (such as Oonagh ONeill and Chiara) are doing.

                  Brenda
                • Maryelizabeth Hancock
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                    Lady Antonia,

                    I wish you well after the earthquake and congrats on the weight loss. The sleeves in this painting are lovely! (I do have some blue velvet that, although meant for a different gown, would do well with this style...hmmmmm

                    Have a great week and thank you for the inspiration!

                    Apollonia

                    Maryelizabeth Hancock

                    ________________________________

                    > On 1/11/2012 2:42 a.m., elspeth205 wrote:
                    >> Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the
                    >> other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?
                    >>

                    > I ain't dead.
                    >
                    > However, I've been through a major earthquake, dropped fifteen pounds,
                    > and am slowly digging my way out from under the resultant alterations
                    > mound.
                    >
                    > On the up side, I spotted this
                    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia2/beccaruzzi1530svicenzajpaulgettyusa.jpg
                    > and I have lovely deep-red woollen stuff for the gown and
                    > chartreuse-coloured taffeta for the sleeves. I think I may make it a
                    > narrow open-front, though, as I really do have enough clothes I can't
                    > put on without help.
                    >

                    > --
                    > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                  • Sharon Langlois
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                      Ciao donne,

                      the sleeves on that gown would look amazing done in a ribbon or embroidered
                      or beaded trim...

                      Elena Della Luna
                      mka Sharon

                      On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Maryelizabeth Hancock
                      <peterbenma@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Lady Antonia,
                      >
                      > I wish you well after the earthquake and congrats on the weight loss. The
                      > sleeves in this painting are lovely! (I do have some blue velvet that,
                      > although meant for a different gown, would do well with this style...hmmmmm
                      >
                      > Have a great week and thank you for the inspiration!
                      >
                      > Apollonia
                      >

                      > Maryelizabeth Hancock
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Jackie Frederick
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 6, 2012
                        A similar dress, not just sleeves, can be seen in the group photo section
                        under webdress. I have long desired this dress. Aaaaah! More inspiration!

                        OHMYGOSH! I need to be three people, 1 to go to work and pay the bills; 1
                        to make all these wonderful clothes that inspire me and 1 to have fun. WAIT!
                        This is fun so only 2.

                        Elspeth Bouchannane
                      • Cilean_69
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                          I have not seen Snarky comments, but as people have said? Call them on it, I know I have spoken to some who are designing for a grade in school and wanted us to do the work they needed to learn on how to do research so I showed them how to find the research they needed. So I hope people here are not Snarky but perhaps people can be blunt? In their assessment, I remember back in the Am I Period or Not? time and people were horrid to each other, because it was anonymous. I hope this site or any I visit will not become like that, not that I did not adore APON, because I did.