knocking, knocking

  • elspeth205
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012
      Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?

      Elspeth Bouchannanne
    • Malinda
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012
        Hello. I think a lot of us have moved to Facebook. Realm of Venus. There is also an Eleonora club.

        Sent from my iPod

        On Oct 31, 2012, at 8:42 AM, "elspeth205" <edenwild@...> wrote:

        > Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?
        >
        > Elspeth Bouchannanne

      • Isabella D'Angelo
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
          As a computer professional, I would urge everyone to get the heck off of Facebook. Everything you do on facebook you can do via email - and email is far safer and actually is private.

          /soapbox

          I haven't really been working on anything Italian Renn related lately. The few projects I do have lined up are things I'll post to my blogger account or over on the Renn Fest boards.

          I think the reason that the list is dead is the lack of new members. Without new people to ask questions, most of us are so stuck in our ways of doing things (I can whip out a basic turn of the 16th C Venetian styled dress in about 2 hours on the sewing machine from cut to finish.) that we don't think to ask about alternatives to our own methods. Given the lists typically serve as a place to ask questions (unlike blog posts which are meant to show how we created something), I doubt any of the people that have been on the list for years have any questions left on how to create objects of the Italian Renaissance. They just create them. :-)

          -Isabella
        • Karen Finnemore
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
            I used to feel comfortable asking questions here. Now, not so much. It's
            turned into snarky arguments, on and off list, the last few times I
            posted. Honestly, I'd rather muddle through figuring out my own answers,
            than to wind up in a flame war. It's just not worth it to me, any more.

            -R

          • JolieH2000@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
              Yes, I must agree too -- this has happened to me too.

              -Jolie'

              wrote:

              > **
              >

              > As a computer professional, I would urge everyone to get the heck off of
              > Facebook. Everything you do on facebook you can do via email - and email is
              > far safer and actually is private.
              >
              > /soapbox
              >
              > I haven't really been working on anything Italian Renn related lately. The
              > few projects I do have lined up are things I'll post to my blogger account
              > or over on the Renn Fest boards.
              >
              > I think the reason that the list is dead is the lack of new members.
              > Without new people to ask questions, most of us are so stuck in our ways of
              > doing things (I can whip out a basic turn of the 16th C Venetian styled
              > dress in about 2 hours on the sewing machine from cut to finish.) that we
              > don't think to ask about alternatives to our own methods. Given the lists
              > typically serve as a place to ask questions (unlike blog posts which are
              > meant to show how we created something), I doubt any of the people that
              > have been on the list for years have any questions left on how to create
              > objects of the Italian Renaissance. They just create them. :-)
              >
              > -Isabella

            • Jackie Frederick
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
                I'm just glad to hear there is still folks looking for something on this
                list. I love the questions, the answers, the general conversation.

                What are you list members up to lately? What kewl projects or interesting
                bits of history or pictures?

                I just finished a loose gown for our Samhein. I based it on my view of the
                Venetian Carnival - I was Autumn. I will try to get pictures.

                Elspeth Bouchannane

                > As a computer professional, I would urge everyone to get the heck off of
                > Facebook. Everything you do on facebook you can do via email - and email
                > is far safer and actually is private.
                >
                > /soapbox
                >
                > I haven't really been working on anything Italian Renn related lately.
                > The few projects I do have lined up are things I'll post to my blogger
                > account or over on the Renn Fest boards.
                >
                > I think the reason that the list is dead is the lack of new members.
                > Without new people to ask questions, most of us are so stuck in our ways
                > of doing things (I can whip out a basic turn of the 16th C Venetian styled
                > dress in about 2 hours on the sewing machine from cut to finish.) that we
                > don't think to ask about alternatives to our own methods. Given the
                > lists typically serve as a place to ask questions (unlike blog posts which
                > are meant to show how we created something), I doubt any of the people
                > that have been on the list for years have any questions left on how to
                > create objects of the Italian Renaissance. They just create them. :-)
                >
                > -Isabella

              • Maluithil
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
                  I enjoy this list- I usually skim information, sometimes reading it carefully or saving it if it's of particular interest to me, but I rarely if ever post a question. Usually when I'm wondering about something I search through past messages (which yahoo archives) and I often find it has been discusses before. I for one am still a novice at all things Italian Renaissance and have valued having a good place where I could ask questions if they arise. On facebook I think it's a little harder to look at past messages, etc. but I guess it's as good a medium as any for group messaging and networking.

                  -Eleonora

                  ::ut ne tam petam amari quam amare::

                  ________________________________

                  wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > As a computer professional, I would urge everyone to get the heck off of
                  > Facebook. Everything you do on facebook you can do via email - and email is
                  > far safer and actually is private.
                  >
                  > /soapbox
                  >
                  > I haven't really been working on anything Italian Renn related lately. The
                  > few projects I do have lined up are things I'll post to my blogger account
                  > or over on the Renn Fest boards.
                  >
                  > I think the reason that the list is dead is the lack of new members.
                  > Without new people to ask questions, most of us are so stuck in our ways of
                  > doing things (I can whip out a basic turn of the 16th C Venetian styled
                  > dress in about 2 hours on the sewing machine from cut to finish.) that we
                  > don't think to ask about alternatives to our own methods. Given the lists
                  > typically serve as a place to ask questions (unlike blog posts which are
                  > meant to show how we created something), I doubt any of the people that
                  > have been on the list for years have any questions left on how to create
                  > objects of the Italian Renaissance. They just create them. :-)
                  >
                  > -Isabella

                • Ylaire Sainte Claire
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2012
                    I'm working on a wedding dress for twelfth night. I'm using a camel colour silk/rayon fabric with a grey trellis pattern to make a dress similar to this:
                    http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/ferrara/GirolamoDaCarpic1530.jpg

                    The fabric looks very much like the sleeve fabric of this great dress:
                    http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2012/Cynthia.htm

                    So far, I have the under dress and the underskirt and the skirt done. I've got the dress bodice, sleeves, and something for my head left to make.
                    This is my first italian dress and my first late period dress. This is also my first entirely hand sew dress. I am super excited for this dress and or the wedding. The wedding will be held at 12 night in the form of commedia dell'arte.

                    Ylaire Sainte Claire

                    Sent from my iPad

                    On Nov 2, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Maluithil <maluithil@...> wrote:

                    > I enjoy this list- I usually skim information, sometimes reading it carefully or saving it if it's of particular interest to me, but I rarely if ever post a question. Usually when I'm wondering about something I search through past messages (which yahoo archives) and I often find it has been discusses before. I for one am still a novice at all things Italian Renaissance and have valued having a good place where I could ask questions if they arise. On facebook I think it's a little harder to look at past messages, etc. but I guess it's as good a medium as any for group messaging and networking.
                    >
                    > -Eleonora
                    >

                    > ::ut ne tam petam amari quam amare::
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Jackie Frederick
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Very kewl. I love that dress. Good on ya, girl. Keep up the good work. Is
                      this your wedding?

                      Elspeth Bouchannane
                    • Ylaire Sainte Claire
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2012
                        Yes. It is. I am super excited.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Nov 2, 2012, at 9:28, "Jackie Frederick" <edenwild@...> wrote:

                        > Very kewl. I love that dress. Good on ya, girl. Keep up the good work. Is
                        > this your wedding?
                        >
                        > Elspeth Bouchannane

                      • Jackie Frederick
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2012
                          Congratulations! I did the Eleanora of Toledo dress (the one with her and
                          her son) for my wedding. I think I did pretty good as I have worn it since
                          and had people say" Hey that's the Eleanora of Toledo". Good for the heart
                          and soul. Keep up the good work.

                          Elspeth Bouchannane
                        • Deborah Wormsbacher
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 3, 2012
                            I rarely post questions but I LOVE to see what others are doing and asking! Usually if I have a question or dilemma, I look at old threads and contact the people directly. I guess I am lucky - everyone whom I have contacted has been helpful and encouraging. I am not SCA - that's where I got the nastiest treatment. I am getting ready to make some sleeves for my common woman's dress and they are so simple and easy compared to the sleeves of well-to-do women. My dress is in darkish blue linen and the sleeves are going to be in a rusty - reddish colour. A friend gave me some light green silk and I made the shoulder ribbons out of it. I help with costuming a Christmas Madrigal/ 12th Night dinner at a castle in the town where I live. I have been lucky enough to work with a costume designer who will listen to the historical info and the costumes have gotten so much better. Instead of poorly done English, we have some lovely German and Italian inspired gowns in the mix.
                            deb in Colorado

                          • Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 3, 2012
                              On 1/11/2012 2:42 a.m., elspeth205 wrote:
                              > Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?

                              I ain't dead.

                              However, I've been through a major earthquake, dropped fifteen pounds,
                              and am slowly digging my way out from under the resultant alterations
                              mound.

                              On the up side, I spotted this
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia2/beccaruzzi1530svicenzajpaulgettyusa.jpg
                              and I have lovely deep-red woollen stuff for the gown and
                              chartreuse-coloured taffeta for the sleeves. I think I may make it a
                              narrow open-front, though, as I really do have enough clothes I can't
                              put on without help.

                              --
                              Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
                              -------------------------------------
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 4, 2012
                                Oooooh! Aaaaaah! Love those sleeves. Is there a colour pic about?

                                See why I love you guys?! You are such a great inspiration.

                                Elspeth Bouchannane

                                > On 1/11/2012 2:42 a.m., elspeth205 wrote:
                                >> Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the
                                >> other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?
                                >>

                                > I ain't dead.
                                >
                                > However, I've been through a major earthquake, dropped fifteen pounds,
                                > and am slowly digging my way out from under the resultant alterations
                                > mound.
                                >
                                > On the up side, I spotted this
                                > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia2/beccaruzzi1530svicenzajpaulgettyusa.jpg
                                > and I have lovely deep-red woollen stuff for the gown and
                                > chartreuse-coloured taffeta for the sleeves. I think I may make it a
                                > narrow open-front, though, as I really do have enough clothes I can't
                                > put on without help.
                                >

                                > --
                                > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                              • n2kye
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                                  --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Isabella D'Angelo" <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

                                  > As a computer professional, I would urge everyone to get the heck off of Facebook. Everything you do on facebook you can do via email - and email is far safer and actually is private.

                                  I'm largely in agreement about Facebook. It's not the lack of privacy per se (_nothing_ online is any semblance of *private*, if you really look at it -- except MAYBE something done encrypted by at least two independent methods and then sent along a VPN from known server to known server to some place behind a firewall... but then one could argue whether or not that is technically *online*...), but rather Facebook's constantly changing policies and its belief that it can help itself to any individual's personal intellectual property.

                                  Most of us send our point-to-point e-mail unencrypted, but there's so much of it that there is usually little gain for someone to try sniffing out an average individual's personal messages. In short, it is NOT private, but an e-mail message is less likely than a Facebook post to be read by someone for whom it was not intended.

                                  Yahoo Groups are semi-open mailing lists. While the group's messages may be set to "members only", without restrictions on membership, they are effectively open to anyone who cares to look.

                                  That said, I accept the loss of privacy on mailing lists as acceptable for the gains of information and friendship. I do not consider Facebook an acceptable risk.

                                  > I haven't really been working on anything Italian Renn related lately. The few projects I do have lined up are things I'll post to my blogger account or over on the Renn Fest boards.

                                  I've ended up concentrating more on Elizabethan England, as I'm involved in ren faires and not in the SCA. That said, money, transportation, and scheduling have kept me away from faire these past two seasons.

                                  > I think the reason that the list is dead is the lack of new members. Without new people to ask questions, most of us are so stuck in our ways of doing things (I can whip out a basic turn of the 16th C Venetian styled dress in about 2 hours on the sewing machine from cut to finish.) that we don't think to ask about alternatives to our own methods.

                                  To some degree, more-veteran costumers have decided that they have gone as far as they can (or are willing to) in research, or have determined that time concerns force them to draw a line between "historically accurate" (hand-sewn, period fibers and fabrics, etc.) and "acceptable for my activities" (machine sewn, purchased trim, synthetic fibers, etc.)

                                  Much of which drew us to these lists at their start was an atmosphere of research (very few extant garments, portraiture, written records), and those who had access to primary evidence sharing their findings with those of us who didn't.

                                  Just as the 1980's and 1990's were the era of Winters and Savoy, "goblet test" bodices, and such, the early 2000's were the era in which Drea Leed, Jen Thompson, Sarah Goodman, Melissa Heischberg, and so on did most of their 16th-century research. Many of them have since broadened to other periods.

                                  I've GAFIAted a bit, so other than Bella noting she's mostly migrated to Facebook, I'm not sure what and where others of that period's Italian (primarily Venetian) experimental archaeologists (such as Oonagh ONeill and Chiara) are doing.

                                  Brenda
                                • Maryelizabeth Hancock
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                                    Lady Antonia,

                                    I wish you well after the earthquake and congrats on the weight loss. The sleeves in this painting are lovely! (I do have some blue velvet that, although meant for a different gown, would do well with this style...hmmmmm

                                    Have a great week and thank you for the inspiration!

                                    Apollonia

                                    Maryelizabeth Hancock

                                    ________________________________

                                    > On 1/11/2012 2:42 a.m., elspeth205 wrote:
                                    >> Hello? Hello? Anyone here? I miss the conversations on this and the
                                    >> other Italian lists like the Courtesan. Hello?
                                    >>

                                    > I ain't dead.
                                    >
                                    > However, I've been through a major earthquake, dropped fifteen pounds,
                                    > and am slowly digging my way out from under the resultant alterations
                                    > mound.
                                    >
                                    > On the up side, I spotted this
                                    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia2/beccaruzzi1530svicenzajpaulgettyusa.jpg
                                    > and I have lovely deep-red woollen stuff for the gown and
                                    > chartreuse-coloured taffeta for the sleeves. I think I may make it a
                                    > narrow open-front, though, as I really do have enough clothes I can't
                                    > put on without help.
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                                  • Sharon Langlois
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                                      Ciao donne,

                                      the sleeves on that gown would look amazing done in a ribbon or embroidered
                                      or beaded trim...

                                      Elena Della Luna
                                      mka Sharon

                                      On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Maryelizabeth Hancock
                                      <peterbenma@...>wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > Lady Antonia,
                                      >
                                      > I wish you well after the earthquake and congrats on the weight loss. The
                                      > sleeves in this painting are lovely! (I do have some blue velvet that,
                                      > although meant for a different gown, would do well with this style...hmmmmm
                                      >
                                      > Have a great week and thank you for the inspiration!
                                      >
                                      > Apollonia
                                      >

                                      > Maryelizabeth Hancock
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Jackie Frederick
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 6, 2012
                                        A similar dress, not just sleeves, can be seen in the group photo section
                                        under webdress. I have long desired this dress. Aaaaah! More inspiration!

                                        OHMYGOSH! I need to be three people, 1 to go to work and pay the bills; 1
                                        to make all these wonderful clothes that inspire me and 1 to have fun. WAIT!
                                        This is fun so only 2.

                                        Elspeth Bouchannane
                                      • Cilean_69
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 10, 2012
                                          I have not seen Snarky comments, but as people have said? Call them on it, I know I have spoken to some who are designing for a grade in school and wanted us to do the work they needed to learn on how to do research so I showed them how to find the research they needed. So I hope people here are not Snarky but perhaps people can be blunt? In their assessment, I remember back in the Am I Period or Not? time and people were horrid to each other, because it was anonymous. I hope this site or any I visit will not become like that, not that I did not adore APON, because I did.